Error during compose

I have this error when composing in Xyview. It does not come out for every compose, it does randomly.

I am using XPP 8.4 SP5.

Screenshot of Trados Studio error message reading 'error closing file Job.4ld' with an 'OK' button.

May I know what is the meaning of this error?

Chung

Toppan Vintage

Generated Image Alt-Text
[edited by: Trados AI at 5:08 AM (GMT 0) on 5 Mar 2024]
emoji
  • job.dpd is a very important file at division level. I think with this error you need to open a support call.
  • If you are running XPP on a windows platform, I would have a try with the anti-virus software switched off.
    (but do not leave it off permanently!)
    It could be that there is a conflict between the anti-virus software trying to check the job.dpd file and the xpp software trying to update the job.dpd file
  • Hi Chung,

Chris and Bart both mentioned the job.dpd (DPD) file, but your error message shown is actually about the job.dld (DLD) file.

Nonetheless, the DLD is also a significant file (it contains all the "links" to any named items, such as pickups and footnotes).

What were you doing at the time this error happened? Were you in the middle of a composition or were you storing out of the xyview?

• OK, I found where this error is being output in the code.

XPP is writing out changes to the job.dld (DLD) file for the division.

Right before closing the DLD file, there is a write() of the full (new) file contents.

If the OS returned an error on the call to write(), the error message would have been "error writing file job.dld" and if that happened it would be probable that the job.dld file would be no longer valid (i.e. corrupted).

Instead, the error happened when the code did a close() of the file.

XPP does also check (most of the time) for an error on just doing a close() of a file and will report if the OS returns an error on such a call.

The reason for this has to do with potential "buffering" of the data being written out.

In some cases (and there are too many factors to try to list them), a call to write() may return success but the data may still be buffered (by the OS) until some later time when it actually gets written out to disk. XPP is not buffering these division files itself, but the OS may be doing so. It may not be until the close() of the file is done that data actually gets written out, and that may be one reason that the OS would return an error on a close().

So if the division was being accessed across a network, or even if local but there were disk problems, then potentially the DLD file could be corrupt - and possibly other files since this was a fatal error causing the xyview to exit w/o doing anything else.

Typically the DPD (job.dpd) file is written out first, then the DLD, and then the job.track file. Since the error happened on the DLD file, that hopefully means that the DPD file is okay.

Unfortunately, there's no way to tell just by the error happening whether there is anything that got corrupted. Accessing the division again will probably indicate whether there appears to be any corruption or not. If you do have problems accessing the division again, I would open up a support call before doing anything else with it. There are a number of possible actions depending on what file(s) have been corrupted.

• The error happened in the middle of the composition for page range or whole division in Xyview, the division will be closed after clicking ok.
    The division can be re-entered after the error.
    How can I see if any of the files are corrupted?

Will the footnotes located at the Lost & Found cause this error?

Chung
    Toppan Vintage

• Just having (unreferenced) footnotes in Lost & Found is not a "fatal" error.

This error that you are getting is considered a "fatal" error.

If the OS did (or could) not close the DLD file successfully, which might mean that the file contents did not get written out successfully, then the software cannot just continue and the program must exit. That's why the division is closed after you click OK on the error dialog.

There is no easy way to tell if any files are corrupted, other than it being obvious if problems occur on re-entering the division.

There is a command line utility called 'divfixdld' that can be used to check the DLD - but it's not for the faint of heart. It's designed really to be used by SDL Support and Development personnel. If you want to go down that route then open a command prompt and change directories to the DIV folder and run 'divfixdld'. With no options it just reports things. If the utility reports any kind of problems, I suggest that you then open a support ticket for direction on how to proceed.

I was thinking this was just a one-time problem, but from what you just said it sounds more like it's happened more than once.

Are the division (DIV) folders local to where you are running XPP or are they "across a network"?

If this is happening repeatedly, and especially if so in different divisions, then maybe you are having network problems (glitches).