Sharing Restore strings between users

Prior to upgrading to XPP 9.3, my organization relied on multiple users sharing Restores (saved strings of text) between them, as described in the User Guide, Chapter 17-7. We have multiple users constantly working on the same projects. We have 100's of saved Restores (strings ranging from single words to entire paragraphs, or templates to be completed later).

After the upgrade to 9.3, none of our users can locate any others' saved strings, since XPP now runs in a strictly Windows environment without MKXServer.

This ability to share content was a critical part of our workflow which seems to no longer exist.

Does anyone using XPP 9.3 currently have multiple users (local or networked) that successfully access saved content located in their respective home folders (xz_profile/ed_savebufs)?

The developer and engineers seem to think it was a rarely used feature in the past, which is strange since it still has a dedicated chapter in the User Guide.

Thank you!

Parents
  • Lewis,

I think you should insist with SDL support and engineering that this problem gets fixed ASAP
    You have some strong arguments to do so:
    - documentation says explicitly that this should be possible
    - you have a workflow that depends on this feature
    - there is no workaround possible

The fact that not many customers do use this feature is beside the point if you ask me

• FYI, as just noted in the SDL XPP Ideas forum the upcoming XPP 9.4.0 release will contain a "solution" (on Windows) for this problem.

There will be a new (optional) environmental variable that can be set.

If that variable is not set, things continue to work as they are implemented and save buffers can only be exchanged between users on the same system (if those users have their "local" %USERPROFILE% Windows profiles under the same parent folder).

If the variable is set to a path, then the save buffers (aka the location of the .xz_profile folder) are saved under that path+username. Doing a Restore of another user's save buffer would look for the file under path+other_user_name.

Even if it's not needed to share between different users, this allows for a user to share their own .xz_profile files across different Windows systems (i.e. a user's environment variable setting can be unique network path).

The customer would be responsible to set up a path that is shared between all users (and/or all systems) and does have the correct security settings (i.e. folder/file permissions as well as "share" permissions, which often are overlooked). And any already existing save buffers that need to be shared would need to be moved to the new location.

Jonathan Dagresta
    SDL XPP Engineering

• FYI, as just noted in the SDL XPP Ideas forum the upcoming XPP 9.4.0 release will contain a "solution" (on Windows) for this problem.

There will be a new (optional) environmental variable that can be set.

If that variable is not set, things continue to work as they are implemented and save buffers can only be exchanged between users on the same system (if those users have their "local" %USERPROFILE% Windows profiles under the same parent folder).

If the variable is set to a path, then the save buffers (aka the location of the .xz_profile folder) are saved under that path+username. Doing a Restore of another user's save buffer would look for the file under path+other_user_name.

Even if it's not needed to share between different users, this allows for a user to share their own .xz_profile files across different Windows systems (i.e. a user's environment variable setting can be unique network path).

The customer would be responsible to set up a path that is shared between all users (and/or all systems) and does have the correct security settings (i.e. folder/file permissions as well as "share" permissions, which often are overlooked). And any already existing save buffers that need to be shared would need to be moved to the new location.

Jonathan Dagresta
    SDL XPP Engineering

Children
No Data