Options to extend and customize Trados Studio

I'm absolutely sure that Trados Studio is the most customizable product on the market. To me this a no brainer; all you have to do is to go to the SDL AppStore and have a look at the number of plugins and applications that are available. And that is not all, because there are at least the same number of customizations carried out which are not published on the store because they are built to f... Read the full text.
Parents
  • I know PS can have GUIs and can be run as an exe but I've personally never seen an application done like that (maybe it's just me).

I'm huge advocate to use whatever it make sense for you to fulfil your needs. In your situation given your knowledge and experience I perfectly understand why a solution which involves scripting and  command line parameters is better and faster than what you have OOB. Please keep in mind that while clicking might not be the best experience you can get in some situations neither a solution which requires passing command lines parameters is appropriate for a casual user. It might be for you and other people with IT background but not for the majority of users.

You're saying that putting things closer to the user doesn't mean is it has to be a plugin. I prefer to do my activities inside an application rather than switching between multiple applications (Microsoft Visual Studio is considered to be probably the best code editor exactly because of this reason). So for example rather than creating a separate application that can nicely handle 36 packages I would prefer to have that options seating alongside the default open package option within Studio ribbon. That gives me the opportunity to assign a shortcut if I want which gives allows me to start the process by touching just 2-3 keyboard keys.

I'm not trying to say you're wrong it's just that I see this topic form a different angle.

With my article I wanted to project the potential result you can get with this options and what has the potential of making the customisation more usable and simple for the casual user. It's not meant to be an evaluation from pure technical standpoint. Also I don't believe in silver bullets so as I said in my article if there is a good reason for the standalone application than it's absolutely fine, in fact we've just done that recently.

Comment
  • I know PS can have GUIs and can be run as an exe but I've personally never seen an application done like that (maybe it's just me).

I'm huge advocate to use whatever it make sense for you to fulfil your needs. In your situation given your knowledge and experience I perfectly understand why a solution which involves scripting and  command line parameters is better and faster than what you have OOB. Please keep in mind that while clicking might not be the best experience you can get in some situations neither a solution which requires passing command lines parameters is appropriate for a casual user. It might be for you and other people with IT background but not for the majority of users.

You're saying that putting things closer to the user doesn't mean is it has to be a plugin. I prefer to do my activities inside an application rather than switching between multiple applications (Microsoft Visual Studio is considered to be probably the best code editor exactly because of this reason). So for example rather than creating a separate application that can nicely handle 36 packages I would prefer to have that options seating alongside the default open package option within Studio ribbon. That gives me the opportunity to assign a shortcut if I want which gives allows me to start the process by touching just 2-3 keyboard keys.

I'm not trying to say you're wrong it's just that I see this topic form a different angle.

With my article I wanted to project the potential result you can get with this options and what has the potential of making the customisation more usable and simple for the casual user. It's not meant to be an evaluation from pure technical standpoint. Also I don't believe in silver bullets so as I said in my article if there is a good reason for the standalone application than it's absolutely fine, in fact we've just done that recently.

Children
No Data