Sdl.ProjectApi - "not validated for use with third-party plug-ins"

While building a Trados plugin I've hit this problem...

Has this assembly been overlooked in the white-list of permitted references? Why would I be allowed to call it in a stand-alone .exe but I can't call it from inside Trados?

5 Replies Latest Replies: 9 Aug 2018 10:50 AM by Paul
  • Hi

Could it be that you are running the plugin on a FL version of the software? Or maybe you are using a non-public API that doesn't get checked with an external application? Just guessing with so many developers on leave!
  • Hi Andrew

Sdl.ProjectApi is not public assembly that's why you're unable to use it in Trados Studio plugin. As far as I know Studio checks if plugins are using non public assemblies and throws this error. Standalone application won't check if assembly is public or not that's why it works.

You can check list of public assemblies here: c:\Program Files (x86)\SDL\SDL Trados Studio\<your version of Studio>\pluginconfig.xml

and find more details in this post: community.sdl.com/.../2114
  • In reply to Kacper Peka:

Kacper Peka
    As far as I know Studio checks if plugins are using non public assemblies and throws this error. Standalone application won't check if assembly is public or not that's why it works.

Another huge plus for standalone applications (and minus for illogical push for making everything a plugin, no matter if it makes any sense... like the SDLXLIFF Toolkit).

• In reply to Kacper Peka:

Can you offer any explanation as to why it's not a public assembly? I'm confused as to why it would be available to us in stand-alone SDK-referencing programs but not available to us for plug-ins. The (out-dated) documentation for the SDK has a walk-through of how to automate project processes and instructs us to use this assembly, but doesn't mention that it can only be used for executables and not plug-ins.

• In reply to Andrew Jameson:

Hi Andrew. Sorry for late response.

You can check this blog post to get more details about it. Hope it helps. 

Related