Problem with Resgen when building a plugin

Dear all,

I am experiencing a problem when I want to build my plugin: I keep getting the following error message:

Error 1 Failed to locate ResGen.exe and unable to compile plug-in resource file 'C:\Users\lp50922\documents\visual studio 2013\Projects\EPO_446_CreateStudioProject\EPO_446_CreateStudioProject\PluginResources.resx' EPO_446_CreateStudioProject

I know that the Resgen is available and working because it is used in other (non-SDL) projects I am building, e.g. this one, which is also based on .Net Framework 4.0:

1>CoreResGen:

1>  "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v8.1A\bin\NETFX 4.5.1 Tools\resgen.exe" /useSourcePath /r:"C:\Program Files (x86)\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\.NETFramework\v4.0\Microsoft.CSharp.dll" /r:"C:\Program Files (x86)\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\.NETFramework\v4.0\mscorlib.dll" /r:"C:\Program Files (x86)\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\.NETFramework\v4.0\System.Core.dll" /r:"C:\Program Files (x86)\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\.NETFramework\v4.0\System.Data.DataSetExtensions.dll" /r:"C:\Program Files (x86)\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\.NETFramework\v4.0\System.Data.dll" /r:"C:\Program Files (x86)\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\.NETFramework\v4.0\System.Deployment.dll" /r:"C:\Program Files (x86)\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\.NETFramework\v4.0\System.dll" /r:"C:\Program Files (x86)\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\.NETFramework\v4.0\System.Drawing.dll" /r:"C:\Program Files (x86)\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\.NETFramework\v4.0\System.Windows.Forms.dll" /r:"C:\Program Files (x86)\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\.NETFramework\v4.0\System.Xml.dll" /r:"C:\Program Files (x86)\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\.NETFramework\v4.0\System.Xml.Linq.dll" /compile Properties\Resources.resx,obj\Debug\testResGen40.Properties.Resources.resources

1>  Processing resource file "Properties\Resources.resx" into "obj\Debug\testResGen40.Properties.Resources.resources"

Is there any reference in the plugin template which redirect Visual Studio to another location where it cannot find the Resgen.exe file?

Can anyone give me a good hint on this one? I am a bit blocked since I do not know what is going wrong and what prevents me of building my Plugin.

Thanks in advance for your support.

Regards,

Laurent

Parents
  • Hi, Laurent,

Did you find any solution? We are having exactly the same problem in one computer where we upgraded VS Express 2010 to VS Express 2013.

The same plugin compiles OK in another PC with VS Express 2010 and and a different one where VS Express 2013 was installed from scratch.

It looks as if the upgrade from VS Express 2010 to VS Express 2013 leaves some registry settings or something behind.

Daniel
  • Dear Daniel,

Here is the workaround which was suggested by SDL to solve this issue:

Create a string value registry key named CurrentInstallFolder in SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SDKs\Windows and set the value to the location of the Windows SDK on your hard drive - be sure that the specified folder contains a Bin folder in it – and which contains all the Microsoft SDK tools are in, including resgen.exe.

So for example in your situation the registry key value should be "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v8.1A" and in that folder you should create a new folder named bin in which you should copy all the tools from the folder "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v8.1A\bin\NETFX 4.5.1 Tools"

I had to adapt this workaround slightly to make it work. This is what I did:

I copied the content of the folder

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v8.1A\bin\NETFX 4.5.1 Tools

Into

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v8.1A\bin\

However, I had to add the registry key under Wow6432Node structure (see below):

I hope this helps you.

Regards,

Laurent

• Dear Daniel,

Here is the workaround which was suggested by SDL to solve this issue:

Create a string value registry key named CurrentInstallFolder in SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SDKs\Windows and set the value to the location of the Windows SDK on your hard drive - be sure that the specified folder contains a Bin folder in it – and which contains all the Microsoft SDK tools are in, including resgen.exe.

So for example in your situation the registry key value should be "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v8.1A" and in that folder you should create a new folder named bin in which you should copy all the tools from the folder "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v8.1A\bin\NETFX 4.5.1 Tools"

I had to adapt this workaround slightly to make it work. This is what I did:

I copied the content of the folder

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v8.1A\bin\NETFX 4.5.1 Tools

Into

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v8.1A\bin\

However, I had to add the registry key under Wow6432Node structure (see below):

I hope this helps you.

Regards,

Laurent

Children