Copy Lang level metadata with write plugin

We have been considering the preTranslation functionality in SDL, which creates difference reports for source and target languages based on the previous version. I tried coping the language level metadata, when the “enable Translation” functionality  creates the target language using a Write plugin, but the language level fields are not available. Will I need to do this using a background task instead?

• Hi Akheil... as a reminder, software version is the shortest piece of text that holds a massive amount of information on what your system can or cannot do, and also how to potentially do it.

In general, we use 'PreTranslation' as a term on how to generate a multi-lingual file contain source and target language information - so inside the file. We use 'TranslationManagement' as a term to indicate how the repository is structured regarding metadata and target language cards (=translation stubs) - so translation follow-up.

On 2016/12.0.x and above the generation of the target language cards (=translation stubs) by the Translation Management component relies on the Settings > XML Translation Settings configuration. Where you can identify which fields should be copied from the source language card.
     <translationobject>
      <copyfromsource>
       <ishfields ishcondition="ISHType in ('ISHMasterDoc', 'ISHModule', 'ISHLibrary')">
        <!-- Copy system fields -->
        <ishfield name="FISHWORDCOUNT" level="lng"/>
        <ishfield name="FISHCONDITIONS" level="lng"/>
        <ishfield name="FISHLINKS" level="lng"/>
        <ishfield name="FISHHYPERLINKS" level="lng"/>
        <ishfield name="FISHIMAGELINKS" level="lng"/>
        <ishfield name="FISHVARINUSE" level="lng"/>
        <ishfield name="FISHVARASSIGNED" level="lng"/>
        <ishfield name="FISHFRAGMENTLINKS" level="lng"/>
        <ishfield name="FISHTARGETS" level="lng"/>
        <!-- Copy mandatory fields -->
        <ishfield name="FAUTHOR" level="lng"/>
        <ishfield name="FREVIEWER" level="lng"/>
        <ishfield name="FTRANSLATOR" level="lng"/>
       </ishfields>
       <ishfields ishcondition="ISHType in ('ISHIllustration', 'ISHTemplate')">
        <ishfield name="FAUTHOR" level="lng"/>
        <ishfield name="FREVIEWER" level="lng"/>
        <ishfield name="FTRANSLATOR" level="lng"/>
       </ishfields>
      </copyfromsource>
     </translationobject>
  • Hi Dave,
    Thank you for your answer, I should have been more specific in asking my question. We would like to copy the previous translations Lang properties forward to the new version created by pretranslation. So in essence copy from Target and not from source.
  • Hi Akheil,

This can only be done through a BackgroundTask that performs this action. The background Task can/should be triggered through an IWritePlugin.

Kind Regards,

Raf