Get All Publications that has a specific baseline using Web API

Hi,

I'm trying to get all the publications that has a reference for a specific baseline using the Web API.

I've tried the PublicationOutput25.UsingBaseline, but this returns the publication in which the baseline is originally defined.

My case is, i've created a publication which has maps and topics, this intended to be reused in other publications. However, when i update this publication and created a new version, a new baseline will be created. So i want to update all the publications using the old baseline by the new one.

I somehow resolved the issue by creating a topic for each publications that contains which baselines are being used. Then, i used the Search API to search for it, autocomplete the publication and update the old baseline.

My problem is that, baselines can be easily renamed by anyone and this can be troublesome and make everything inconsistent since the topic which holds the baseline references will not be updated.

So i am thinking if its possible to get all the publications that is referencing a baseline.

Thanks,

Nikku

• Hi Nikku,

I'm not truly sure.... but are you trying to reuse your baseline object on multiple publication versions? If so, then you should assign the baseline name (identifying the baseline object holding all of your earlier selected content object versions) to the new publication version's FISHBASELINE field.
    That should be enough.

If the 'PublicationOutput25.UsingBaseline' is only returning one hit. Then it doesn't look like you are reusing baselines. Technically it is also possible to have each baseline (typically assigned to each publication version) to hold the same content object version selectioning. Keeping all this in sync is however some custom code you need to write yourself.

I'm aware I didn't necessarily answer you question, but it could perhaps help you to rephrase your question on what happened so far and what you expect to happen.

Thanks,
    Dave
  • Hi Dave,

Yes, i'm trying to reuse a baseline object on multiple publications.
    Can you assign multiple baseline in FISHBASELINE field of a publication?

The case is that, a specific publication is composed of multiple reusable baseline objects.
    And since the user decides what to baseline objects need to be included, we come up of creating a topic (as a resource) to contain all the baseline objects used in that publication. This will be used in a utility that we created for auto-completing the publication. Say a new version of the baseline object is available, we need to update all the publications using the old baseline object.

I just thought that since a baseline object is used in a publication, it can be found using the 'PublicationOutput25.UsingBaseline' api.

Thanks,
    Nikku
  • Missed this update for some reason...so here we go...

"Can you assign multiple baseline in FISHBASELINE field of a publication?" No, one baseline per publication. Terminology-wise, a baseline is the collection of content object logical ids (so GUIDs typically) and the version selected for each.

So a publication version object links to a baseline object. A baseline object in turn groups the combination of content object identifiers (logical id) and their version selected.