• Not Answered

Is document() support in Chrome and Firefox on the roadmap? My stylesheets need it.

I have a set of existing stylesheets used within the Xopus editing process which display the target text of hyperlinks via XSLT functions which use document() functions and match to <xsl:key> definitions. The stylesheets are complex and extensive, and they work.

At least, they work in Xopus under IE. Not in Chrome or Firefox.

The Xopus 5.4 documentation has a simple XInclude example which suggests that I could re-implement these stylesheets using Xincludes and xpointers, but I'm not having much luck.

I'm either after a commitment from Xopus to support document() in these other browsers, or a demonstrable example of how to implement my requirement without using document() and xsl:key.

6 Replies Latest Replies: 12 Sep 2018 11:27 AM by Trevor Nicholls < 1   2  >

6 Replies

• I've been experimenting with a simpler example than my actual requirement but it still isn't working.

I've created an XML document "globvars.xml" which contains a simple structure like so:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
    <globals>
      <date id="globaldate">Wed Sep 12 22:00:30 NZST 2018</date>
      <server id="globalserver">fergus</server>
      <version id="globalversion">testing 10659M</version>
    </globals>

The document I wish to edit in Xopus can reference these like so:

<para>This application was built on <global name="server"/> on <global name="date"/> using source version <global name="version"/>.</para>

Under IE I can edit this file with a simple single-transform pipeline, where the rendering XSL ("docs_edit.xsl") contains the equivalent of:

<xsl:template match="global">
      <span class="meta-global">
        <xsl:choose>
          <xsl:when test="@name = 'date'">
            <xsl:value-of select="document('globvars.xml')/globals/date"/>
          </xsl:when>
        <!-- etc. -->
        </xsl:choose>
      </span>
    </xsl:template>

If I attempt to edit this file in Xopus through Chrome or Firefox I get the error "Failed to compile stylesheet: The document() function in XSLT is only supported in Internet Explorer."

After carefully reading the online documentation I made a few modifications. I changed the Xopus pipeline to this:

<x:pipeline xsd="docs_edit.xsd">
      <x:view name="WYSIWYG">
        <x:transform xsl="preparexi.xsl"/>
        <x:resolveXIncludes/>
        <x:transform xsl="docs_edit.xsl"/>
      </x:view>
    </x:pipeline>

where "prepare.xi" is trivial, the guts of it are:

<xi:include href="globvars.xml">
        <xsl:attribute name="xpointer">
          <xsl:text>id(&quot;global</xsl:text>
          <xsl:value-of select="@name"/>
          <xsl:text>&quot;)</xsl:text>
        </xsl:attribute>
      </xi:include>

This inserts nothing. None of the normal xpointer options: id(), element() etc. work.

• In reply to Trevor Nicholls:

I managed to have xi:include work with Xopus in my case.

Two gotchas :

- don't forget <xi:fallback> in your "preparexi.xsl" to see what's gone wrong

eg : <xi:include href="{$path}">

<xi:fallback>Not found : <xsl:value-of select="$path"/></xi:fallback>

- don't forget a presentation for the imported data, in your "docs_edit.xsl"

eg : in my case to see imported tables , I had to add

<xsl:template match="table|colgroup|col|tbody|tr|td|th">

<xsl:element name="{local-name()}">

<xsl:copy-of select="@*"/>

<xsl:apply-templates select="node()"/>

</xsl:element>

Should your <xi:include> spit <span class="meta-global"> or just <global>...</global> ?

All I can figure is your XSL "preparexi.xsl" giving part of "globvars.xml" which may not be displayed by your "docs_edit.xsl".

Rémi

• In reply to Rémi Koutchérawy:

My bad in transcribing my test example. Because I have several possible substitutions they're encoded in a named template and I just moved one of the alternatives inline. The actual templates are:

<global>
        <xsl:call-template name="global_sub">
          <xsl:with-param name="varname" select="@name"/>
        </xsl:call-template>
      </global>

<xsl:template name="global_sub">
      <xsl:param name="varname"/>
    <!--
        <xsl:attribute name="xpointer">
          <xsl:text>id(&quot;global</xsl:text>
          <xsl:value-of select="$varname"/>
          <xsl:text>&quot;)</xsl:text>
        </xsl:attribute>
    -->

With or without the attribute included, and whether the attribute is id() or element() or just some XPath, the global element emerging from the pipeline is empty.

Interesting...

I added a fallback to the template:

<xi:fallback><xsl:text>Not found</xsl:text></xi:fallback>

and "Not found" appears in the <global> element emerging from the transform.

In IE, document("globvars.xml") retrieves the document. In both IE and Chrome, xi:include("globvars.xml") does not. The globvars XML file is in the same directory as the pipeline stylesheets and schema, although not in the same directory as the XML file being edited via the pipeline. Perhaps that is significant, although it seems to me that both should resolve the same way.

And even more interesting... when I supply the full path from root as the href property

<xi:include href="/home/trevor/..etc../globvars.xml">

it still fails to find the document. The path is correct, because document("/home/trevor/..etc../globvars.xml") succeeds (just in IE, of course).

Yet you have this working? Where are your files accessed from?

< 1   2  >
Related