Issue with Community login password

Hi all. I have a problem that every time I login to the Community, it tells me my password is wrong and I have to reset it. Note I have 'Remember me' selected. It doesn't recognise the remembered version, nor does it recognise a re-typed version.

'Every time' is not quite right... it does behave sometimes, for a while. At the moment it is not: I had to reset it yesterday, and again today. I have tried using more than one browser, same prob. I reset it to the same as it was before, it doesn't seem to care. I can't work out a pattern of what makes it fail.

Does anyone else have this issue, any suggestions?

Thanks

• Hi Sian. Nothing as bad as an account that doesn't do what it is supposed to do. Glad you are still coming in and tell us. We checked your settings and they checked OK, so it is somewhere deeper into your SDL ID. We've raised a ticket and hope to sort this out soon. If it isn't we'll get on Skype and have a look together. Won't rest until this is solved.
  • Hi - it has just happened again. I believe it is related to it being the Beta forum, i.e. not a generally open forum, and that my access rights to it are somehow lost when I go into my SDL account. Yesterday evening I went into my SDL Account and re-activated my 2014 installation, so my password was working fine (for the SDL account) at that point. Today, I clicked on a link in an automated email about a new issue logged in the beta forum - my remembered password didn't work. I selected 'forgot password' and re-entered the same one, as ever. I was then able to sign in - without changing the remembered password, i.e. just open the Sign In screen and click sign in - and it worked fine.

Actually I will  note one other thing - I attempted to access a conversation via an email notification that was a reply to another notification, rather than via the original notification: it told me I do not have access rights. Some screen shots to show all this:

Sign in error - remembered password not changed since used yesterday to access SDL account. Access attempted via link in email notification for a new issue raised in the SDL Beta Forum (which is the way I usually do it)

When I go to update it, the remembered password appears still to be remembered; although I tried just completing the confirmation field without touching the remembered field, and it looked like the remembered value was a char shorter. So I re-entered that as well. Note, I'm still using the same password value, i.e. I havn't actually changed it

I was then able to log in, using the remembered password, i.e. I did not change the values shown in the first login screen, which errored previously; I just clicked sign in and it worked.

This is what occurred when I attempt to access a reply to an item, rather than the original notification; this may only occur if I am not already successfully logged in (havn't specifically tested that, because here I am logged in...)

When trying to select the beta forum from the Special Interest Groups, it was not there (sorry can't show the dropdown, just the icons, using this capture method)

Obviously, this is not a big deal, now I know I just reset to same value, but it is REALLY ANNOYING! thanks

• Unknown said:
    I believe it is related to it being the Beta forum, i.e. not a generally open forum, and that my access rights to it are somehow lost when I go into my SDL account.

Hi Sian,

This is definitley not the case. You have one account in here and you have one account in our admin system for licenses.  Access to this community is based on the same login as it's single sign on for both.  If you log out of the licensing system then you also log out of the community.  Perhaps you should clear your browser cache and then log back into your license account first to make sure you get in, and then without logging out just go straight to the community site.

That action might clear up your problem.

Another thought is maybe you have some clean up utility running, or password manager installed that is wreaking havoc here?

Regards

Paul

• Hi, Paul. It is very strange - it has been happening ever since I started using the community (so before I was beta testing, indeed); when I first started using the community, it did it almost every time; now it is quite rare. I mean, it really is no biggy, it's just repeatedly irritating at intervals. And we all hate a puzzle we can't solve, eh?

I don't use any central password utility. I do use C-Cleaner (notably to clear browser caches at intervals...), but I certainly didn't between last night and this morning - reactivating 2014 on this machine was the last thing I did last night, and I tried to get into here when I was just catching up on mails this morning. I have had the same issue with 3 different browsers (and hence also 3 different password saving mechanisms and 3 different caches), because I thought it might be to do with that and have zapped around to try to lose the problem. At the moment I am using Firefox, I have had the same behaviour with Chrome and Opera.

Oh well. If I do come up with a definite pattern, I'll let you know, just out of interest. Thanks for responding, anyway.
  • I'd be willing to do skype with you and see the problem myself with my developer.
    I feel it is very important to solve your problem.
  • Hi, Wilfried, thanks for the offer. But please don't treat it as a high priority! Whilst I would like to get it sorted, there are worse things :)

BTW, it just happened again, and I have a litle more info. This time, just before it refused my login, I very briefly saw a message saying that it had a problem with the Captcha message. I'm sorry I can't tell you the exact wording. I note that, since this was a normal login, there was no Captcha field visible, but maybe it does a check on each login.

I updated the password as usual; I was then able to login to my SDL account no problem as usual. Paul's proposal of a cache issue may still be right (but why does this cache keep getting corrupted, and nothing else?) - for the first time, it asked me if I wanted to change the password for my user or for user '< >'.

I again noted that the remembered password, which is displayed initially in the New Password field, was the wrong number of characters.

Thereafter, following a link to the community in a notification did not allow me access to the Beta program. I had to close my SDL Account session and my not fully-functioning community session. When I tried again (clicking on a link it a notification from the Beta community), it was OK.

I did have the French SDL shop page open at the same time, but I don't believe this is relevant, no login was involved.

Screen shots below, I do always try to document it.

Many thanks, Sian

• , please have a look at this record of events. I suspect cookie conflict with other SDL services
  • I've had the same problem. It really is annoying and going round and round in circles is no fun.
  • Hi Alison High,

Once you sign up to the SDL Community, you create one password.
    This password will stay the same until you change it yourself.
    You shouldn't have to change your password every time.

oos.sdl.com is a different website then the SDL Community, also both have different passwords.

Hopefully this helps.

Kind regards,
    Lennert