Confusing notification settings/Wiki - THREE columns of checkboxes?

Hello,

I recently realised that I wasn't receiving notifications that I should have been receiving, so looked for help in the forums.

I found the Wiki regarding notifications (here) and applied the specified settings. However, I then started receiving notifications for ALL posts in the forums I'm subscribed too!!

Having looked again, I've just noticed that there are actually THREE columns of checkboxes in the notification settings (see below). The Wiki doesn't mention anything about the left-hand column of checkboxes. I've just unchecked it in the hope that this will resolve my (new!) issue of receiving too many notifications.

Can anyone confirm these settings? (And/or explain why this third column is there in the first place?!)

Hayley

Screenshot of Trados Studio notification settings with three columns labeled 'Email', 'Live Alert', and an unlabeled column with checkboxes. A yellow warning highlights the 'Creates threads in forums to which you are subscribed' option.

Generated Image Alt-Text
[edited by: Trados AI at 3:41 AM (GMT 0) on 5 Mar 2024]
emoji
  • Hi Hayley,

There are indeed multiple different ways to subscribe to forums and threads within a forum.

What you did, like you explained above is subscribing to a forum instance which means you get notifications for ALL posts in a single forum. If it's a busy forum you will definitely get annoyed by all the notifications. To check which forums you subscribed to please head to Profile -> Settings and scroll to the bottom of the page and look for all "Yes"ses, like below :

Make sure you un-subscribe from the forums you get too many notifications from.
    My settings are like the image below, so probably looking at what I explained above would already make a good first step. (so looking at the different forums in groups you are member of)

Apart from that in the beginning of your post you refer to not getting notifications you should get from some forum posts, could you please explain what notifications you think you're not getting? Then I can try to help you change some settings.

• Hello  

Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately the situation is still not resolved. I will try to explain the issue in more detail below, in the hope that you can help:

1. The issue concerns the "SDL Trados Studio" forum in the "Translation Productivity" group. 
    2. I sometimes post questions in this forum, so I want to receive an email notification when someone replies to my threads.
    3. I do not want to receive notifications when other people create threads in this forum, nor when people reply to those other threads.

My settings are currently as follows:

• I am subscribed to the forum:

Screenshot of SDL Trados Studio forum description in Translation Productivity group with 'Notifications Only' set to 'Yes'.

• I have unchecked 'Creates threads in forums to which you are subscribed" in all three columns in my notification settings:

Screenshot of notification settings with 'Creates threads in forums to which you are subscribed' unchecked in all columns.

Nonetheless, I am still receiving irrelevant email notifications. It would appear that these are all for replies to other people's threads:

Screenshot of an email inbox filled with notifications from the SDL Trados Studio forum, indicating replies to various threads.

Have I missed a setting somewhere?

Hayley

emoji

Generated Image Alt-Text
    [edited by: Trados AI at 3:42 AM (GMT 0) on 5 Mar 2024]
  • Hi Hayley,

Thanks you for your explanation.

Please follow the steps below, your settings are probably the wrong way around.

1. You keep receiving emails because you are subscribed to the whole SDL Trados Studio forum. Your first screenshot, please change Yes to No.
    You won't receive irrelevant emails from the Trados Studio forum anymore.

2. In the second screenshot, you can re-check the "'Creates threads in forums to which you are subscribed" because you won't be subscribed any more because of step 1.

3. Once you create a post yourself, you will automatically be subscribed to that single thread and receive notifications/emails, no actions needed

Hopefully this works for you!

• Hi

I've just made the two changes you suggest, although this actually brings me back full circle, as my settings are now back to how they were a few weeks ago, when I noticed I wasn't receiving notifications about replies on my own posts.
    I don't have any new questions to ask for now, so I guess I'll just have to wait until I do to see whether the settings are correct (unless there is any way of creating a test post?)

Hayley