Opening an SDLXLIFF file

When I receive an SDLXLIFF file from an agency or from a colleague and I open it by double-clicking on it, I know that it will open up in Studio and it will appear as SINGLE FILE Project. But my question is: which TM and TB are assigned to this Single File Project? I have tried to open some of them and all of them come up with a TM already connected to the project BUT is this TM selected randomly? How does the project choose which TM is elected to be the connected TM? Can you please explain this issue? Thanks. Paolo

• Hi

You are right in that when you click on a sdlxliff file it open Studio as a translate single file.
    You are also right in that it at times, it automatically offers a TM and TB.

The question is:

Based on what? Or as you phrased: How does the project choose which TM is elected to be the connected TM? 

Answer:

2 factors.

Primarily: based on what your Studio default settings are.
    These are under File - Options - Language Pairs

Of course, as you make changes during the time when you confirm which TM's to use as part of the "translate single document" window opens - it saves your preferences.
    This can result in slight differences in which TM's are being presented 

Trados Studio Translation Memory and Document Settings window showing source language as Bulgarian and target language as English with options to create, use, or import translation memories. 

Secondary:

Of course the logic of which TM's could be used or enabled, is based on matching language pairs between the file you have and which TM resources you may have used in the past.

I hope this helps a bit

Lydia

emoji

Generated Image Alt-Text
    [edited by: Trados AI at 3:33 AM (GMT 0) on 29 Feb 2024]