Not Considering

Automatic update for hotfixes

The user experience for installing hot fixes is terrible. I hate having to look through the list of zip files on SDL Tridion World or the FTP (where there's just the hotfix name). Some sort of installer mechanism that keeps track of them is sorely needed.

Parents
  • I agree with many of your suggestions. I'm not a fan of the current hotfix deployment procedure - which is prone to user-error. A simple scripted installer and hotfix install repository would simplify this process.

Note that any solution will need coordinating between CM and CD capabilities, as they have their own deployment mechanisms.

Note that as we move towards container deployment, I do wonder if we should instead look towards using containers on-premise too - then a hotfix would simply be a case of live-upgrading to the appropriate container image (as we already do in our Cloud releases), with no downtime. An on-premise container orchestration system would be needed to support this.

Comment
  • I agree with many of your suggestions. I'm not a fan of the current hotfix deployment procedure - which is prone to user-error. A simple scripted installer and hotfix install repository would simplify this process.

Note that any solution will need coordinating between CM and CD capabilities, as they have their own deployment mechanisms.

Note that as we move towards container deployment, I do wonder if we should instead look towards using containers on-premise too - then a hotfix would simply be a case of live-upgrading to the appropriate container image (as we already do in our Cloud releases), with no downtime. An on-premise container orchestration system would be needed to support this.

Children
No Data