Under Community Review

Require updated version of scribble.exe (sample file provided by SDL) that is fully internationalized (Unicode enabled)

The sample file for localization in Passolo that is provided by SDL is not fully internationalized. It cannot be localized into languages such as Japanese, Russian, and Arabic,

Please, provide a fully internationalized executable. Unicode has been around for decades.

Parents
  • The Scribble sample file that is coming with SDL Passolo is internationalized. The standard Windows resources in PE files are stored as Unicode anyway, so the sample can be localized into any target language. This is how my Japanese version shows on my system.

Yes, this Scribble sample is quite old and the code inside is still ANSI coded. This might explain issues as you need to switch your system codepage for non-Unicode software to the right target language.

There are customer that still need to localize large C++ based legacy software products. This small sample helps them to see how to address issues. Unfortunately converting an ANSI coded software base into a Unicode coded software is not a no-brainer and requires many changes to be done in development. This is why you still see these kind of software in real life.

In addition the Scribble sample is referenced in the Getting Started guide and other training material.

I can request that additional samples will be created and deployed in future versions, but you can use any other sample (.NET, WPF, etc.) that you can find on the web.

• Thank you for your comment. Three things:

First: our localization through Passolo leaves some strings as "?????" for Arabic, Japanese, and Russian. The menus are mostly fine, its the text in the bottom status bar and a few other places. See attached screenshots. Its the same problem for all above languages. I have confirmed that the affected strings are properly localized and they show properly in the language in Passolo. Languages such as Spanish and Portuguese are not affected.

Second: your suggestion of getting .NET, WPF files, etc., is welcome. But that does not solve the question of giving students experience to localize .exe files. So yes, I would encourage SDL to provide sample files, in all (or at least a selection of) supported file formats. I worked for IBM for 15 years and we always provided sample files with any software product.

Third, you provided a suggestion to " you need to switch your system codepage for non-Unicode software to the right target language". I would certainly appreciate some instructions on how to do that.

Comment
  • Thank you for your comment. Three things:

First: our localization through Passolo leaves some strings as "?????" for Arabic, Japanese, and Russian. The menus are mostly fine, its the text in the bottom status bar and a few other places. See attached screenshots. Its the same problem for all above languages. I have confirmed that the affected strings are properly localized and they show properly in the language in Passolo. Languages such as Spanish and Portuguese are not affected.

Second: your suggestion of getting .NET, WPF files, etc., is welcome. But that does not solve the question of giving students experience to localize .exe files. So yes, I would encourage SDL to provide sample files, in all (or at least a selection of) supported file formats. I worked for IBM for 15 years and we always provided sample files with any software product.

Third, you provided a suggestion to " you need to switch your system codepage for non-Unicode software to the right target language". I would certainly appreciate some instructions on how to do that.

Children