Under Community Review

Reversing language directions for server TMs

Users quite often work with AnyTM for file based resources but when they migrate to GroupShare the feature is unsupported as result the functionality of the translation system is decreased from translator's point of view.

• Hi Adrian,

Why would one need to search TM in its target section? But Trados still (finally) has this option.

Example: I have an abbreviation 'WPQT' that is not a term (not included in termbase) in my English source. From context, I suspect (I feel that it must be) a Russian equivalent [????????? ????] but I still need confirmation.

Now, without TB target search feature, I have to switch to Ru-En project and search for "????????? ????". After it finds a "????????? ???? ????????", I see the proper term in English: Welder Performance Qualification Test Record. Ok, from now I can safely use the suspected equivalent as true one.

I don't think Kilgray would ever add this option to their memoQ, if it was not obviously needed by translators. But they did it from their earliest versions several years ago without asking why we need it =)

• Hi   , thank you for your contribution.  This is very good, it helps us understand better the customer perspective. This idea is for sure a good one (I voted for it! :)). I think that for file-based TMs right Studio needs to create a reverse TM in the background due to the technology used for the TM. I don't think it is even technically possible to directly look up languages in the reverse order, so this may require a bigger change, but it is indeed a good suggestion. As for termbases, you currently can assign any project language to any termbase language and term recognition/term search will work.  For more serious term management, you can use MultiTerm Desktop which will allow the search to be performed for any of the languages. Why would you need to search in the target language though in the Studio Editor? I am not a translator myself, so maybe I am missing something, but right now, if you click inside a target segment, Studio will automatically recognize all terms. Then you have AutoSuggest who will present to you the target translation of the term, so it is very easy to insert it. I am not sure when and why would one need to search in the target language?

• By the way, the same story with Termbases. You cannot use such an obvious thing as Termbase search for target terms. If your project is EN-RU, you will never find a term in Russian.

• Hi Adrian,

Speaking of the cleanup topic you mentioned, why should Trados create a new [reverse] TM?

Other CATools (memoQ for example) can easily read any TM, no matter what language direction it is, and such TMs are not updated but just read.

You may update 1 million-segment EN-RU TM while just reading 5 other million-segment RU-EN TMs. No problem. Why not do the same for Trados?

• In our Translation Department reversing TMs is a very important feature, although all our TMs are server-based. In this case when we select Use Any server-based TM lookup does not work in reverse language, for example if we a project En-Gb - Ru-Ru we do not see segments from TM with language pair Ru-Ru - En-Gb which is frustrating. We can find segrements only using Concordance Feature selecting Search Target.