Under Community Review

64-bit version of Studio

Please create a 64-bit version of Studio. At present only a 32-bit version is available, and therefore it can theoretically only access 2-3GB of system memory, meaning that upgrading your machine with more memory then this does not have any beneficial impact on Studio performance.

When handling large files & projects, allowing Studio access to all of your system's memory would make a huge difference in time and performance, and for this the app needs to be 64-bit.

Are there any plans to release a 64-bit version in future?

Parents
  • Currently I am working on A bible commentary. 1 million words, two files. So I really thought SDL will be a great tool along with powerful RAM and Processor. (I spent a huge amount on i9 and 32 RAM Del XPS 2019) Bu it looks like I will have to split the files and rework each time through the entire project. 

Iike I word in InDesign 64 bit very stable and reliable (I am comparing volume in ragards to pages we can work at a time.) SDL must come up to rescue people who work on huge projects. This will be good for translation community and increase in their product as well. 

• Former Member
    Former Member in reply to Amit Aryan

Ouch! At least you can take comfort in the fact that your computer will run everything else fine for a few years.

SDL Trados Studio has been obsolete for a long time now. They keep rebranding it but the same issues remain in the latest versions: same limitations, same instability, same ancient interface, same unfinished features, same bugs and lack of basic CAT features.

And as you can see, SDL has not deemed necessary to answer their users on this matter, unless you take into account the initial answer advising us to get a fast SSD… which ignores altogether the actual issues.

Yet this thread is #1 in “Translation Productivity Ideas” and dates back to 2017… A true lesson of customer care from SDL!

Whatever the reason of their silence, they have been well aware of those issues for a long time and simply chose to ignore them. That is just sad.

Currently, splitting “big” files is the “best way” to work in Studio, unless you want to tear your hair out because of its sluggishness and instability.

I suggest you also remove all media from the file beforehand. It will result in a smaller file easier to handle for Studio. To do so, simply open the source file as an archive and delete the media folder.

Or as  suggests, simply use another CAT tool, which obviously is a better option.

• It is an unfortunate truth that SDL doesn't really put that much effort into developing and improving the translator side of the product.

Freelance versions don't bring in that much money and translators will be forced to use the CAT tool their client requires anyway.

For years, I was an SDL certified Studio trainer, and could honestly say that Trados is the best solution.

Unfortunately, that is increasingly not true, largely due to the lack of concern SDL shows in dealing with known problems.

Outsourcing development to OpenExchange isn't really a solution to that in my view. :D

That being said, it is still one of the best CAT tools out there, even if memoQ has several better and more intuitive solutions for everyday translation work.

One of those, that could be useful for Amit, is 'views', which basically allow you to create a subset of the translation file based on any criteria you wish.

You can then translate that smaller subset without opening the whole huge file.

• You are right, its good for smaller files. or files with MS WORD etc. but xml and other complex files not good at all. I am tired of being stressed while trying to fix the issues. 

• i9 is good for InDesign and After Effects. It will serve well in years to come for sure. @Ferry

Matthieu

Comment Children