Under Community Review

64-bit version of Studio

Please create a 64-bit version of Studio. At present only a 32-bit version is available, and therefore it can theoretically only access 2-3GB of system memory, meaning that upgrading your machine with more memory then this does not have any beneficial impact on Studio performance.

When handling large files & projects, allowing Studio access to all of your system's memory would make a huge difference in time and performance, and for this the app needs to be 64-bit.

Are there any plans to release a 64-bit version in future?

Parents
  • Currently I am working on A bible commentary. 1 million words, two files. So I really thought SDL will be a great tool along with powerful RAM and Processor. (I spent a huge amount on i9 and 32 RAM Del XPS 2019) Bu it looks like I will have to split the files and rework each time through the entire project. 

Iike I word in InDesign 64 bit very stable and reliable (I am comparing volume in ragards to pages we can work at a time.) SDL must come up to rescue people who work on huge projects. This will be good for translation community and increase in their product as well. 

• at this point you're better off using memoQ, it has had a 64-bit version for ages now.

• I almost purchased MemoQ before deciding for SDL. The review said, SDL community and service is very good. I was not aware about the issue of 32bit vs 64bits. Not in a position right now to invest into a new software.. may be I will request the client to use crowdin or smartcat or something

Comment Children
  • Former Member
    Former Member in reply to Amit Aryan

This is another big problem in my opinion. A lot of reviews are biased or even paid for. A big website that offers discounts and group buys (not to mention it directly) will simply not publish negative reviews on certain CAT tools. SDL even deletes negatives comments on their own blog posts…

Since you mention Smartcat, here is a good overview of the translation management software and CAT programs available out there:

https://www.g2.com/categories/translation-management

https://www.g2.com/categories/computer-assisted-translation

Again, it is a good list, but there are not enough reviews to make a purchase decision in my opinion.

Personally, I like Memsource better than Smartcat. But I have not tried all TMS and CAT solutions out there and you should definitely choose one that will suit your own needs.