Under Community Review

64-bit version of Studio

Please create a 64-bit version of Studio. At present only a 32-bit version is available, and therefore it can theoretically only access 2-3GB of system memory, meaning that upgrading your machine with more memory then this does not have any beneficial impact on Studio performance.

When handling large files & projects, allowing Studio access to all of your system's memory would make a huge difference in time and performance, and for this the app needs to be 64-bit.

Are there any plans to release a 64-bit version in future?

Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member

Quoting Paul:

"I think you'll see more benefit from using a fast SSD drive than an upgrade to 64-bit."

I just ran an analysis on a "medium" sized file. The original Word file is about 1.2 MB and the SDL XLIFF file is about 23 MB. Word count is about 25,000 words.

I am using an Intel Core i7-7700, 16 GB of DDR4 RAM and a Samsung SSD PM871a.

Currently running on my computer:

-Antidote Corrector

-6 Firefox windows

-the source file in Word (Office 365 ver.)

-a glossary in Excel

-Outlook

-ESET Internet Security

-Foobar 2000

etc.

In total, 11 applications and 46 background processes.

During the analysis, the CPU usage doesn't exceed 7%, the memory usage doesn't exceed 29%… and the disk usage doesn't exceed 3% (and remains at 0% 95% of the time).

Yet the analysis took several minutes to complete.

Can someone please explain to me how a faster SSD could improve the performance, whereas every single resource is underused?

I am running Studio 2017, but I have had the opportunity to use 2019 several times and it is exactly the same sluggishness, except for a few tasks (probalby random luck).

Comment
  • Former Member
    Former Member

Quoting Paul:

"I think you'll see more benefit from using a fast SSD drive than an upgrade to 64-bit."

I just ran an analysis on a "medium" sized file. The original Word file is about 1.2 MB and the SDL XLIFF file is about 23 MB. Word count is about 25,000 words.

I am using an Intel Core i7-7700, 16 GB of DDR4 RAM and a Samsung SSD PM871a.

Currently running on my computer:

-Antidote Corrector

-6 Firefox windows

-the source file in Word (Office 365 ver.)

-a glossary in Excel

-Outlook

-ESET Internet Security

-Foobar 2000

etc.

In total, 11 applications and 46 background processes.

During the analysis, the CPU usage doesn't exceed 7%, the memory usage doesn't exceed 29%… and the disk usage doesn't exceed 3% (and remains at 0% 95% of the time).

Yet the analysis took several minutes to complete.

Can someone please explain to me how a faster SSD could improve the performance, whereas every single resource is underused?

I am running Studio 2017, but I have had the opportunity to use 2019 several times and it is exactly the same sluggishness, except for a few tasks (probalby random luck).

Children
No Data