Idea Delivered Partially

When Studio runs into an error ("exception"), that error will be sent to us anonymously (for those users that are taking part in the customer feedback program via Help - Customer Feedback) so that we can catch it and enhance the product area where the error occurred over time. For logic bugs like described here, the flows recommended by Paul Filkin are in place. Setting to delivered partially therefore.

Add "Report a bug" button to the Help ribbon

I noted some bugs in Trados Studio that persist for very long and are not corrected with numerous updates.

For example, from the very beginning of Trados Studio 2021 you can't copy-paste from Concordance Search into the translation—all the context menu commands of the selected text just do not work, as well as keyboard commands.

Or—another example—you can't open a file after it has been prepared for translation: you need to close Trados Studio and restart it again. This bug remains in all Trados Studio versions (2017, 2019, 2021).

Where can users report of them? It's not obvious. I do not know and many users too, I am sure.

Parents
  • Dear Olga

There are a few buttons in the Help ribbon that lead you to what you are looking for:

1. The "Support" button leads you to a web page where you can choose to "Log a support case", "Ask the RWS community" , get installation and licensing support or access the knowledge base
    2. The "RWS Community" button directs you to the Community page Paul mentioned where you can post your query 
    3. The "My Account" button directs you to your customer account from where you can also open a support ticket

As you can see, there are already quite a lot of buttons there that will all do what you ask for. 
    I suggest you start discovering them.

Walter

• Dear Walter, of course, highly motivated user can find a way... But we are busy, so much, and if this way is not an "obvious one-click path", most of users will not use it—and many errors will remain uncorrected. So, it's a question of aim, nothing more, nothing less... isn't it?

Comment
  • Dear Walter, of course, highly motivated user can find a way... But we are busy, so much, and if this way is not an "obvious one-click path", most of users will not use it—and many errors will remain uncorrected. So, it's a question of aim, nothing more, nothing less... isn't it?

Children
  • Isn't it an obvious "one-click" path to go to the "Help" ribbon and click one of the buttons?

• If a user needs some support — yes. If he/she wants to send feedback or report an error — no. That's why the button/link is labeled "Feedback" usually :) As in MS Word, for example.

And if the user clicks "Support" button in Studio, does he/she see something like "feedback" or "report an error"? No.

—To search, to drill down for the option? No, thanks. I have no time.

And he/she leaves the page.

And errors remain, for years and years, as we see :)

• I get where you're coming from, but like anything it's not that simple effectively when you get to the implementation.  When you implement something like that in the software you can expect many users to see this as an opportunity to easily ask for help and not just to provide feedback.  When this happens how do you think we resource this properly to filter out the real feedback, and how do you think we resource it to engage with these users to understand the real problem (not everyone is clear) and get files etc. to be able to validate the issue?

I'm all for trying to make sure that we have places where users can engage with us to help improve the software and this is one reason why we have the community forums.  I guess we could enhance the "tell me" feature to look for phrases like "error", "report a bug", "help" etc. and provide the user with the exact details to find the right place.  But I also think "forums" is something that is pretty well known these days as they are used by the majority of software providers (of any size) to provide similar features.  So It is fairly simple to see where you could do this.  But I also know from experience that many users don't even look in the help anyway... they immediately turn to google and some even complain we don't provide anything despite not looking!  I think the "tell me" feature suffers from the same problem... many users don't know it's there and may not use it.  But I'll suggest we enhance that anyway.

It's worth noting that with more recent releases we do collect information on errors, including ones that occur but get suppressed, as long as you allow it when you install the software (many users don't!).  This allows us to actively look for the problems that occur the most and prioritise development work to fix those that may have the greatest impact for users.

I also can't find anything at all in MS Word about how to provide feedback... and even help is quite well hidden these days.  And quite frankly I doubt you have any mechanism to engage with Microsoft at all without a support contract.

• Hi - I have checked with our users in the beta forum to see if they can confirm the two issues you are describing here. While some users sometimes (but rarely) see the concordance copy/paste issue, no one can confirm the "I have to restart Studio after preparing a file" problem. No user was able to give steps to reproduce though on the copy/paste issue as it seems to be a bit elusive and intermittent. Just thought I'd let you know. If you have specific steps to reproduce, do share them in the community so we can pick them up in our continuous bug fixing exercises. Thanks, Daniel