Hidden trace for endline space

Hello,

When a space insertion located in the endline, there will be no trace and bar displayed in xyview. Actually, the code [TRACE;soi] [TRACE;eoi] is added at the location of the space insertion.

In our workaround, we need to generate a PDF file with all pages containing traces, we are being asked for reasons about why there are some pages with no traces in these PDF output.

Are there any options to let xyview to display a change bar for that line for this situation?

Chung

Toppan Merrill

• You'll need to open a ticket with support and please attach a sample job.

• I did do an experiment, just using the Block Merge sample.

It is current XPP behavior that we do not display a change bar for (only) a traced space line end. That goes in tandem with the fact that there is nothing to "underline" to show an insert trace for a space line end; it's a line break (with an implied space).

However, the implied space in the line end is still being tracked by XPP as "inserted". I continued the experiment and made another edit (e.g. deleted some text earlier in the same line) and composed, and then that space line end became a real space (i.e. no longer "implied") and then I did get an insert underline and a change bar. Or if I just did an export ('fromxsf -xyp4' to also output edit trace codes), then I do still see the [TRACE;soi] and [TRACE;eoi] around the space that's implied in the line end.

So, this is existing XPP behavior and it's being done "on purpose". Honestly, I'm sure that if I researched it back far enough (if I could actually get access to that far back in history of source code changes) I would find that this behavior was actually requested from customer(s).

If you need different behavior, then that's a RFE and you'll need to submit an XPP Idea for the requested behavior. We'd have to implement a method to be able to specify which behavior to do, for example a new yes/no field in the JT and/or DT to specify whether to show a change bar for a traced space line end (also showing an insert underline is not really an option since there's nothing to underline, unless we can come up with some other way to "show" the insert).