Custom dictionaries

OK this is complex and I need to understand the exact procedures and process.

1. If your job ticket has "Algorithm" a "Main Dict" and a "Cust Dict" I need to understand what decides which is used. In the manual it says:

A Hyphenation Exception dictionary stores words only if they have hyphenation breakpoints specified
and the hyphenation is different than that specified by the Main dictionary or algorithm. If you do not want
the word to hyphenate, you enter a slash after the word and before the hard return.

However later on, when talking about the trialing slash it says: 

This character forces each word to be added to the Custom dictionary even
when its hyphenation exactly matches the hyphenation found in the Main dictionary.

So i deduce that if I enter a word with the same hyphenation points as the Algorithm or Main Dict then it just ignores it (does not store it in the custom dict) and uses the Algorithm or Main Dict. However if I put a slash at the end of the word in my Custom Dict then it will use that regardless if it is the same or not. If I do not want a word to hyphenate at all then I must put a slash at the end of the word. Is this correct?

So lets say the main dict has abc$def$gh but in my custom dict I put abcd$efgh will it always use the custom dict even if there is no slash or, as a matter of course should I put abcd$efgh/ to make sure it always uses my preferred option?

2. The manual also says:

If you enter the word in all lowercase (think) it will work with each of the following different words:
think
think.
Think
Think.
THINK
THINK.

The next silly question is what happens with nouns that sometimes have and apostrophe s at the end of the word - is this catered for as above or is it required to add a separate entry for say Mon$day and Mon$day's?

3. Has anyone seen an instance where the above rule does not cater for the cap initial letter?

Don't like to make them too easy folks!

PS XPP 8.4.1 in XML using item formats.

Parents Reply Children
No Data