Expected behavior when no conditions are specified for a publication

Hi,

There is a publication that includes a topic that has an element with conditional text. I'm told that the element with the conditional text used to be excluded when no conditions were specified on the publication.

For example, there is a topic with markup:

<p ishcondition="this=that">Conditional text</p>

The publication specifies no conditions. What they expect is that that paragraph will be excluded.

After a recent style changes, the element is no longer being excluded. I've experimented and sometimes this happens and other times it doesn't happen and I haven't found the pattern.

When it happens, DITA-OT filters out the element prior to styles being applied (during topic merge). When it doesn't happen, DITA-OT doesn't filter out the element, prior to styles being applied.

What is the expected behavior when no conditions are set on the publication?

Kendall

Parents
  • Hi Kendall,

Just to make sure, @ishcondition is done by an SDL component called ConditionFilter, not by DITA-OT.

When specifying value for your condition context through the various user interfaces, it eventually gets saved in on the publication version in field FISHPUBCONTEXT. That field can technically have three options:

1. Field is empty, literally has no value. In this case the ConditionFilter component will consider all @ishcondition entries as valid, so their "Conditional text" will appear.
    2. Field holds <features/>, so a root tag without children. Then ConditionFilter cannot make any of your @ishcondition Boolean logic statements valid, so all those elements will be filtered out.
    3. Field holds <features><feature name="this" value="that"/></features>. Then Condition Filter will try all provided <feature> entries to try to make your @ishcondition valid. See API details on https://docs.sdl.com/LiveContent/content/en-US/SDL%20Tridion%20Docs-v1.1.2/GUID-DE80C8C1-E125-48AD-A54C-A374DA7819FE

You are probably having situations 1 and 2 mixed. Meaning that once you selected a <feature> but then you removed the <feature> again you end up with <features> as declared in situation 2.

The product version matters, as UX already spend quite some brain power to get to a more predictable situation without breaking backward compatibility.

Hope this helps,
    Dave

• I think it is situation 1. I've never seen a product definition XML file before. People select which "ishcondition" expressions should be used for filtering, by selecting condition name/value pairs in publication manager, on the publication objects.

However, when no condition name/value pairs are specified ("no context" might be the term for that), sometimes elements with ishcondition specified are filtered out and sometimes they are not. Since that appears to happen outside of DITA-OT, I was wondering what the expected behavior was. The reply made me think it is essentially "unpredictable" unless you specify which condition name/value pairs are to be considered for filtering.

• As you can imagine, a lot of people rely on this product feature, so breaking changes are not really an option.

What I have seen some customers do is setup up a default <feature> entry on all of their PublicationOutput Editor Templates. So in essence, every time you create a new Publication, the field FISHPUBCONTEXT is already initialized with "<features><feature name="this" value="that"/></features>" so always scenario 2 or 3.

Reply Children
No Data