(More) Job Tools not running external shell script

Good morning,

I might be setting myself up for huge embarrassment but I am at my wits end.   I'm modifying a legacy inherited korn shell script that executes at the job level (/procs/jsc).  For some reason it just will not run.  I've tried restarting the XPP service, opening up all permissions, the gamut and it just WILL NOT execute : )  

To debug, I created a test script (for brevity's sake I've not included all iterations)...

#!/bin/bash

echo "0:$0"   > /tmp/mylog;
echo "1:$1" >> /tmp/mylog;
echo "2:$2" >> /tmp/mylog;

exit;

... to see if XPP is even passing something valuable and I get no output.  I've run this from the command line to make sure it writes to the log and all is fine.  I tried ksh, and bash.   I've tried it with and without . /var/www/xpp/xz/etcxyvision/xyv.shpaths, and a whole bunch of variations in between, nothing works.

Can anyone help me understand how XPP executes external commands like this and what is the best way to debug problems?  There must be something I'm missing.  Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks - Tod

Just to add, I'm executing from XPPathfinder, right click on job tool, more tools, and selecting the script from the list.  The 'same' program in Perl works!

Parents Reply
  • Tod,
    Did you start from scratch on your script or modify an existing one? The reason I ask is, that since it is a shell script, the starting line at the top of the PERL file will dictate the program to run.
    If you look at the top of the ones that are working, you should see something like:
    #! /etc/xyvision/common/perl/bin/perl

So please make sure that is at the top of your file. Also, since it is Linux/Unix the shell script needs to be executable via the "-x-" attribute on the file itself.
    A 'ls -l file.pl' will show you the attributes. It must be set like the others.
    If you don't see the 'x', then a "chmod a+x file.pl" will set it to be like the other files.

Hopefully it will then run.

Steve Piercey
    SDL
Children
No Data