Another "Is this expected behaviour?"

CSS XPP 9.4.1

I have an interesting issue - the XML I have been supplied with has "xxx</close><open>Zzz". The requirement (apart from changing typeface etc) is to add a period and a space so I end up with:

xxx</close>. <open>Zzz

I am generating the period and space in the close::after pseudo-element selector and most of the time it is working perfectly. However if the last word before the </close> is a very long word (and its in 2 columns to a short measure) then the last word will not hyphenate. If I only generate the period and add space manually, either before or after the <open> element then the long word hyphenates perfectly and as expected. However is does act as you would expect if the justification means finishing a line! Interestingly if I remove the space altogether the word xxx.Zzz will hyphenate.

One option would be to transform and add the space but I am very nervous about that is this could cause issues if the XML is inconsistent.

Interested to hear if anyone else has encountered a similar issue.

Chris

Parents Reply
  • Chris,

The whole idea of this "exercise" was to get that last word (before the generated period & space) to hyphenate when needed.

As I said before, when I take the sample you provided and implement the workaround I detailed (added macro definition and CSS modifications) and then I compose the sample as provided, the word "understandably" does hyphenate (and the rest of the word is followed by a generated period after end tag </test1> and a generated space after start tag <test2>).

I just checked again with the sample you provided, with my workaround implemented, and I do get the desired results when I compose.

So, I do not understand why you are not getting that word to hyphenate?

Children
No Data