unable to open XyView using X-emulation softwares

Hi, 

I have tried couple of open source X-emulation software like Xterm and Mobaxterm to connect to XPP. While using both  these I am able to open XPP Pathfinder but not able to open any division in edit or view mode. 

Any inputs, what I may be doing wrong or missing on something? 

• I have no experience with those apps specifically, but, having tried many x-emulation apps, I eventually came across Exceed (for LAN) and Exceed onDemand (for WAN). With little setup (XPP vuem fonts, etc) they just work. They're fast too. Especially the onDemand version. I work with clients in the US, UK and Europe. Full page maps (many, many layers), graphics and regular XPP text pages - all display with full resolution and its a breeze.

I'm sure there are those out there who have figured out how to get freebie stuff to work but, for me, Exceed does the business. (I use it EVERY day, all day). IMHO. Exceed is available from OpenText with trial license.
  • I also do not know anything specifically about the Xterm or Mobaxterm software packages, but perhaps you should investigate or search about support for Motif applications with these packages to see if there is anything special you need to do or feature you need to use for Motif (if they have support for it). You may need to do something to use a Window Manager that supports Motif.

The XyView, Sdedit, and other XPP GUI applications are Motif-based applications.

PathFinder is not.

• Just a follow-up to note that starting with the XPP 9.2.0 release that the XyView and Sdedit (and other GUI) applications became GTK-based (instead of Motif-based) on the Linux and Windows platforms.

Jonathan Dagresta
    SDL XPP Engineering

• That is indeed the best resolution to this problem. Just upgrade to 9.2 and forget about all possible trouble with X-windows and Xwindows emulators. It has haunted us long enough :-)

• One additional follow-up. Since moving to GTK (LInux and Unix), you don't have to set up fonts for the X/Server anymore. On Linux it just uses a couple of X/fonts that are installed with the software, and on Windows, they are installed into the Windows "Fonts" font folder. Pre XPP-9.2 you had all sorts of font set up that had to be done before the X/server would work.

• Or better yet, we (SDL) would recommend upgrading to XPP 9.4.

• I need a better understanding of how GTK works. Can you point me to anything I could read? Does the XPP documentation include everything I would need to know? Would an XPP power user currently using Windows and Exceed to connect to a Linux XPP server, even need Exceed in XPP 9.4? We do a lot of work on the command line, we also use nedit a lot (yeah, old). (Related question: good Linux nedit replacement recommendations, i.e. with nice syntax highlighting, notepad++ niceness or similar?)

• Jay,

When you have a Linux based XPP server and you use Windows workstations, you will still need something like Exceed in order to connect to your XPP server from your workstation and run xzplorer, xyview, nedit, etc...
    It is only in a pure Windows environment (server and workstation) that you no longer need a X-window emulator, as the xyview and co (all that was Motif based before) is now GTK based.

PS: best to open up a new question regarding your nedit replacements

• Jay,

The XPP documentation does not describe "how GTK works" any more than it described "how Motif works" - they are both "GUI" packages, but GTK is a lot more "modern" than Motif (which is considered somewhat "obsolete" now in many forums). If you want more specific information about "how GTK works", then you should be able to find everything you want to know on the web.

The XPP documentation describes everything you need to know to "use XPP" (i.e. what GTK configuration files and settings are used to control or affect the XPP GUI).

GTK on UNIX is still X11-based, so you still need an X/Server (i.e. eXceed).

GTK on Windows (or at least the GTK we use for XPP) is native-Windows based, so that's why you no longer need an X/Server in a pure Windows environment.

Jonathan Dagresta
    SDL XPP Engineering