XPP 9.1 Compose and Abandon Times Over a WAN

We have workstations set up in an office and XPP server installed on a virtual server that is 5 miles away, connected via DS3 going through an Internet service provider.  The files are saved on a server that is local to the workstations.  If you have a similar remote XPP server, what are typical compose and abandon times you guys are getting for large files (870 pages, 16MB), medium files (150 pages, 1.2MB), and small files (50 pages, 500kb)?  We are looking to see if the times we are getting are typical for this type of setup.

• Are you running the xyview locally? I use Exceed onDemand (EoD) (which is Exceed for WAN basically) from Vancouver and work normally with systems in Denmark, Sweden. I estimate I run at about 95% the speed of sitting in Denmark on the in-house network. However, because I'm fully remote - I'm not working with the files on my local machine and having to shovel large amounts of data back-and-forth to server. I'm running the display-end only. Works like a charm. That's over a VPN connection too by the way.
  • Yes, xyview is on the local workstation. So what you are not doing is what we are doing. We are pushing the data back and forth between the workstation and server.
  • Hi John,

I'm trying to understand your scenario that you're asking about, but there seems to be (or could be) a contradiction in what you originally said and what you said in your last reply.

"workstations set up in an office and XPP server installed on a virtual server that is 5 miles away"

"The files are saved on a server that is local to the workstations"

That's what you said originally (partly).

I understand that to mean that you have some "XPP clients" (workstations) in one office, that are using an "XPP server" in another location.

But at the same time the "files" are being read and written (saved) on a third server that is in the office where the XPP clients (workstations) are located.

By "files" I'm assuming you mean the XPP specs and JOB files (i.e. sd_liz data and alljobz data). Is that correct?

So as I see it, when you are running the XyView on your XPP clients (workstations), the only "data" that you are pulling from the XPP server (remote VM) is the xyview.exe binary itself and any data files (e.g. config files) being read by the XyView that live under the $XYV_EXECS path. But all the other "data" used by the XyView such as sd_liz specs and alljobz JOB files are really being read/saved "locally", although not to the workstation itself but to another machine located in the same office (supposedly on a very fast connection to the workstations).

Are all of my assumptions correct?

Because in your last reply you said "We are pushing the data back and forth between the workstation and server" and I'm just not sure which "server" you mean - is it the XPP server (remote) or the server that's located in the same office as the workstations (local)?

If my assumptions are correct and you're not reading/saving the sd_liz and alljobz data from the remote XPP server but from a third local server, then I wouldn't think there would be much impact of having the XPP server be remote. Once the xyview.exe binary data has been fully read (cached) to the XPP client (workstation), I would think that there's nothing else that's going to be read from the remote XPP server (for that invocation of the XyView) other than some config files that live somewhere in the $XYV_EXECS tree. Same goes for running the compose.exe program.

So the XyView is not running on the remote XPP server and then pulling all the spec/JOB data files back and forth over the remote connection; the xyview.exe program is running on the local workstations (which are just reading the xyview.exe binary from the remote XPP server). In order for it to be the case that the spec/JOB data files are being read/saved back and forth over the remote connection, you would have to be for example doing a remote desktop session to the XPP server and running the XyView in that session and referencing the spec/JOB data files back in the office where the workstations are located.

In any case, I'm asking these questions so that you can get "compose" and "abandon" time comparisons from other customers that have the same (or similar) scenario to what you have and just wanted to make sure your scenario was clear to everyone.