When trying to open a generated target translation (*.docx) document in Microsoft Word is displaying the following message:
We're sorry. We can't open [file name].docx because we found a problem with its contents.
After clicking on the Details button, the actual error
Unexpected end of input
appears, pointing to the document.xml
This issue points to a corruption of the target DOCX file. The document.xml is truncated and missing the closing tags. This is a filter issue, fixed in later versions of WorldServer and of the Microsoft Word 2007-2016 File Type.
This issue is fixed in later versions of WorldServer with the updated version of the Microsoft Word 2007-2016 File Type
. If possible, upgrade to a later version. The workaround in WorldServer 10.4.4.
is as follows:
- Download the source DOCX file from WorldServer along with the target DOCX file that cannot be opened.
- Open the source DOCX file with Winzip or Winrar
- You will see the actual file and folder structure of the DOCX file.
- In the word folder, find the document.xml file and open it in an XML Editor, for instance Notepad ++ or firstobject XML Editor
- Open both document.xml: the one belonging to the source DOCX and the one belonging to the target DOCX.
- Run a file validation of the target document.xml and you will get an error related to missing closing tags. For instance:
The following tags were not closed: w:document, w:body, w:tbl, w:tr, w:tc
- Compare the 2 document.xml files and find the location where the target (corrupted) document.xml finished and find that same location in the source document.xml.
- Copy the missing content from the source document.xml to the target document.xml and run another file vaidation. There should be no more errors
- Now save your changes in the target document.xml and try again to open the target DOX file. It should work
- Provide the repaired DOCX file to the customer and replace the corrupted one with the fixed file in the target folder in Explorer.