What kind of JSON data structure does SDL WorldServer Translation expect?

I need to output a json file that is translated by WorldServer, but no one seems to know how I should format the json.  It's currently in XML.

example:

<text>

<line>text from line 1</line>

<line>text from line 2</line>

</text>

How would I format that in JSON?

I tried it as an array..

{ "text": ['text from line1', 'text from line2'] }

But they said that doesn't work.

I can't find documentation for this...  Can anyone help?

Parents
  • Former Member
    0 Former Member

I have actually been working on this quite a bit recently. I can confirm that if you are using the actual JSON filter (which version of WS do you use?) Then what you describe as the array above is the correct format. Have you tried that? There is a problem if you configure an embedded content filter but we've had a hotfix from SDL for 11.4.1 to address that. Who told you that the array would not work?

• the person doing our translations is the one that told me the array wouldn't work, but it turns out she doesn't understand any of the technical details of how worldserver works, so we are the blind leading the blind...

In the browser tab, it says "worldserver 11.1.1.4130".  How do we update our server to 11.4.1?

It looks like someone tried to create a "Text File Type" to parse the json on our server.  It's using regular expressions.  I assume that's not the correct way, and we should be using a "JSON file type". I created one, but I'm not sure how to use it. 

How do I assign a file type to a project?

Also, when I try to edit the new JSON filter configuration, I get the following error:

System.InvalidCastException: Error 0x17E0.  Debugging resource strings are unavailable. See go.microsoft.com/.../
       at Sdl.FileTypeSupport.Filters.Json.SilverlightUI.SettingsUI.JsonParserSettingsControl.EditButton_OnClick(Object sender, RoutedEventArgs e)
       at System.Windows.Controls.Primitives.ButtonBase.OnClick()
       at System.Windows.Controls.Button.OnClick()
       at System.Windows.Controls.Primitives.ButtonBase.OnMouseLeftButtonUp(MouseButtonEventArgs e)
       at System.Windows.Controls.Control.OnMouseLeftButtonUp(Control ctrl, EventArgs e)
       at MS.Internal.JoltHelper.FireEvent(IntPtr unmanagedObj, IntPtr unmanagedObjArgs, Int32 argsTypeIndex, Int32 actualArgsTypeIndex, String eventName, UInt32 flags)

I'm kind of blown away by the fact that this software uses Silverlight!  Is there any alternative to configuring File Types?

• the person doing our translations is the one that told me the array wouldn't work, but it turns out she doesn't understand any of the technical details of how worldserver works, so we are the blind leading the blind...

In the browser tab, it says "worldserver 11.1.1.4130".  How do we update our server to 11.4.1?

It looks like someone tried to create a "Text File Type" to parse the json on our server.  It's using regular expressions.  I assume that's not the correct way, and we should be using a "JSON file type". I created one, but I'm not sure how to use it. 

How do I assign a file type to a project?

Also, when I try to edit the new JSON filter configuration, I get the following error:

System.InvalidCastException: Error 0x17E0.  Debugging resource strings are unavailable. See go.microsoft.com/.../
       at Sdl.FileTypeSupport.Filters.Json.SilverlightUI.SettingsUI.JsonParserSettingsControl.EditButton_OnClick(Object sender, RoutedEventArgs e)
       at System.Windows.Controls.Primitives.ButtonBase.OnClick()
       at System.Windows.Controls.Button.OnClick()
       at System.Windows.Controls.Primitives.ButtonBase.OnMouseLeftButtonUp(MouseButtonEventArgs e)
       at System.Windows.Controls.Control.OnMouseLeftButtonUp(Control ctrl, EventArgs e)
       at MS.Internal.JoltHelper.FireEvent(IntPtr unmanagedObj, IntPtr unmanagedObjArgs, Int32 argsTypeIndex, Int32 actualArgsTypeIndex, String eventName, UInt32 flags)

I'm kind of blown away by the fact that this software uses Silverlight!  Is there any alternative to configuring File Types?

Children
  • Former Member
    0 Former Member in reply to adam snyder

To upgrade to 11.4.1, you would have to get the install files from SDL's FTP site and then follow SDL's installation/update instructions found on their documentation site. (SDL Doc Center )

This would entail installing a new WS version, a new FTS version as well as require some DB updates to be run.

You are correct about the Text File Type being insufficient to handle complex JSON data structures, especially when embedded content (like HTML tags) are included in the values.

The problem with the JSON filter in the configuration is something i have not encountered but i would seem that  the issue is unable to load the UI for some reason. I would recommend contacting SDL support if you have a PSMA.

Regarding Silverlight, it is unfortunately the only option (unless you have Trados Studio). You are correct to point out that it is outdated and SDL is aware that this is something that needs to be moved away from. I do not think that it is replaced yet though as SDL's has been focusing on replacing thier use of JAVA applets elsewhere in the Application.

would be one to provide any ETA on that if and ETA currently exists.

For now, you will, as we do, have to use IE to work with filters. I have found some handy plugging to Firefox and Chrome that allow you to right-click a link and open it in IE so you can at least save time browsing to the right page in IE all over again. Let me know if you don't think you can find these yourself and i can help you find them.