How can I add/create Arabic (Israel) as a locale in WorldServer 11.6?

Dear Community,

Wishing you all a happy and healthy 2021!

A customer has asked whether we can add a target locale of Arabic (Israel) to ensure that the LSP chooses a translator with the correct dialect. We currently use the generic Arabic ar. I can create a new locale with the display name Arabic (Israel), but if the language code remains the same, would this not create issues in the memories?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Dave

Parents
  • Dear Dave,

we wish you a happy and healthy 2021 too! Thank you for the interesting question and the opportunity to clarify how this works.

The language displayed in the Translation Memory is always the actual Language name and not the one referenced to in the "Name" field of the Locale configuration, which can be changed to any name while configuring any language/locale. Hence, if you have 2 language names based on the same language and language code, for example based on Arabic (U.A.E.) and (ar-AE), but with different names as

Arabic (U.A.E.) - original name
    Arabic (Israel) - changed name

if you translate a project with both these target languages and the TM is updated with the translation, when you look into the TM you will find the translation for Arabic (Israel) and Arabic (U.A.E.) both under Arabic (U.A.E.). Therefore, you will not - indeed - have separate TM entries, which is obviously a problem.

Therefore, the recommendation is to use a language that you do not use at all in your projects and change its name to the unsupported language, in this example "Arabic (Israel)". The TM will be created under the actual original language name and also the language code when exporting that TM and/or when exporting the project to a Studio pacage will be the one from the original language name.

On a side note: you mentioned that you are currently using Arabic (ar) which is a generic locale that is not supported by FTS. I assume that you have already mapped this language to a different one in exchange.properties in order to be able to save and export/import projects created with this language using File Type filters. See also article: gateway.sdl.com/.../communityknowledge so in your "real" project created under this language, you are probably already using a different language code than "ar".

I hope this helps you.

• Dear Dave,

we wish you a happy and healthy 2021 too! Thank you for the interesting question and the opportunity to clarify how this works.

The language displayed in the Translation Memory is always the actual Language name and not the one referenced to in the "Name" field of the Locale configuration, which can be changed to any name while configuring any language/locale. Hence, if you have 2 language names based on the same language and language code, for example based on Arabic (U.A.E.) and (ar-AE), but with different names as

Arabic (U.A.E.) - original name
    Arabic (Israel) - changed name

if you translate a project with both these target languages and the TM is updated with the translation, when you look into the TM you will find the translation for Arabic (Israel) and Arabic (U.A.E.) both under Arabic (U.A.E.). Therefore, you will not - indeed - have separate TM entries, which is obviously a problem.

Therefore, the recommendation is to use a language that you do not use at all in your projects and change its name to the unsupported language, in this example "Arabic (Israel)". The TM will be created under the actual original language name and also the language code when exporting that TM and/or when exporting the project to a Studio pacage will be the one from the original language name.

On a side note: you mentioned that you are currently using Arabic (ar) which is a generic locale that is not supported by FTS. I assume that you have already mapped this language to a different one in exchange.properties in order to be able to save and export/import projects created with this language using File Type filters. See also article: gateway.sdl.com/.../communityknowledge so in your "real" project created under this language, you are probably already using a different language code than "ar".

I hope this helps you.

Children