General Terminology

Is there a location on this community site where I can ask terminology-related questions?

Parents Reply
  • First, i am not a terminology expert, but i do work with one and pay close attention to what is recommended, additionally i've confirmed his approach with other sources as the best way to do terminoloy.

That said, when working with worldserver termbases you have two levels of organization, an entry (which holds many terms) and a term which is specific to a given language.

The approach that i am told and believe is appropriate is the idea of a concept based terminology where you separate even your source terms from the concept and then add the terms to that entry.

In our implementation we have an entry that describes the concept that we are tracking and then all terms that apply to this concept are then added to that entry. To differentiate differing words that describe a single concept we use additional attributes (create by us using the WS UI) that detail the usage, context, part of speech etc.

So to answer your question.

I would recommend an entry which will serve as your concept where you define specifically what an associate is. And then in that entry create an english term for associate, then create three fr-CA terms in that entry as well and then use an attribute to define the context in which each should be used.

Hope this is helpful
Children