General Terminology

Is there a location on this community site where I can ask terminology-related questions?

Parents Reply
  • Hello Taiki.

Thank you for your very thorough analysis.  You are absolutely correct that there are issues with the export functionality. I tested the one-to-many scenario, exporting as a Delimited file and a CSV file.  The Delimited format did not export any of the translations. The CSV format exported only the first translation; omitting the other two translations.

Nevertheless, as you point out, there is an issue with the one-to-one scenario during input, where WorldServer is indicating that multiple entries for the source term exist -- message:  "This term has previously been proposed: associate(Approved)". Therefore, the best format I think is the one-to-many scenario as:  

This will solve the input part of this issue however, I still need to research the best method to export so that all translations for a source term are exported correctly.

Children
  • With regards to exporting, it really is a question of how you want to manage your data and more specifically, what tool. If you want to use excel then csv is the way to go, however as is noted above, csv does not handle multi valued data elements very well (which is what an entry is).

However, even without customization, you can run your terms through term-based worldserver workflows to perform actions on them without ever taking them out of the tool.

But if you need to export, what i would suggest is using the tbx format. It is an industry format approved by the ISO

www.iso.org/.../catalogue_detail.htm

Any terminology tool worth it's salt will allow both importing and exporting of terminolgy data. And this format (which is essentially xml) handles multivalue data elements without issue.