TM Cache mechanism details implemented with WS11.6

I read the release notes of WorldServer 11.6 and realized that the TM Cache mechanism has been implemented with it. I'd like to understand well regarding this new feature. 

https://docs.sdl.com/770288/789617/sdl-worldserver-11-6-user-documentation/release-notes/translation%2520memory%2520lookup%2520improvements

We are using 'Live TM mode' for our translation workflow. However, according to the explanation in the release note above, if we introduce the TM Cache mechanism, which is a default setting, it becomes NOT Live TM mode. I'm very confused. Could you explain the relation between 'Live TM mode' and 'TM Cache' mechanism?

Kind regards,

Naoki

• Dear Naoki, the TM Cache functionality stores the relevant TM entries during the segmentation step and uses the stored TM cache when exporting a project or Task to a WSXZ package. By doing so, the package export with the default option "Use cached TM" will be exported much faster because WorldServer does not have to search for relevant TM entries during the package export anymore since those have been stored during segmentation. However, you can still use the "old" method by selecting "Create project TM" when exporting manually. There is also a new option not to include any Project TM at all. These options are all available in the modern UI only.

Moreover, note that you can disable the Cached TM feature by configuring the "Segment Asset" step if required, as described in the documentation.

This new Cached TM functionality has no impact whatsoever on Live TM mode. You will still be able to update your TM upon each import of a return package or Save action. It is an additional feature to improve your user experience. I also would like to point you to this presentation from Ray Hopley which provides some more details about the features introduced in 11.6.x.

I hope this helps you!

• Dear Caterina,

Thank you for your clarification. First of all, I realized that there is no relation between 'TM Cache' and 'Live TM'. In order to verify my understanding, I drew a translation workflow diagram as follows:

Workflow diagram showing Trados Studio processes. 'Segment Asset' step highlighted, indicating TM cache generation. 'Leverage TM' and 'Generate Translation Kit' steps circled, with notes on changes in accessing TM database.

The original workflow is for WS 11.4. In the old workflow, both 'Leverage TM' and 'Generate Translation Kit' had been accessing to a TM database. By upgrading WS to Ver. 11.6 or later and modifying the workflow, WS will access to the TM database once in the 'Segment Asset'. The 'Segment Asset' will generate a TM cache (i.e. cached Project TM). The 'Create Project Package' will include the cached Project TM into a translation kit. As the result, it will take less time to generate a translation kit during the pre-translation stage.

Could you confirm if my understanding is correct?

Best regards,

Naoki

emoji

Generated Image Alt-Text
    [edited by: Trados AI at 3:51 AM (GMT 0) on 5 Mar 2024]
  • Hi Naoki,

the short answer is: yes.

For clarification: the TM *always* gets leveraged during the Segment Asset step, this is not new to version 11.6.x. During segmentation, segments are also pretranslated with 100% and ICE Matches. I am not sure why you have a "Leverage TM (NEW)?" step in your workflow. The step "Leverage TM (NEW)?" is not "out-of-the-box". It is a customization so I cannot comment on its functionality since it is not part of the default WorldServer product. This means that I also cannot tell you if you will need it or not. I recommend that you discuss this with a RWS/SDL Professional Services consultant whether the step is still needed after the upgrade. Moreover, I recommend that you engage the Professional Services Team to assist you with the upgrade, if possible.

Anyway, after the upgrade, you should check the Segment Asset step configuration and make sure that the option "Create TM Cache?" is present and set to "Yes", or re-configure it accordingly. Possibly, you will need to remove it and re-add it using the new and updated step provided after the upgrade that has that option available. 

Trados Studio Segment Asset step with parameters listed, including 'Create TM Cache?' set to 'Yes'.

Regarding "Generate Translation Kit": yes, that step will become deprecated and should be replaced with "Create Project Package" using the cached TM. This article provides more information:

https://gateway.sdl.com/apex/communityknowledge?articleName=000013247

I hope this helps you!

emoji

Generated Image Alt-Text
    [edited by: Trados AI at 3:51 AM (GMT 0) on 5 Mar 2024]
  • Dear Caterina,

The "Leverage TM (NEW)" was developed by PS team in order to leverage TM from the only update TM. Therefore, when we upgrade WS from 11.4 to 11.6 or later, customization will be needed for the 'Segment Asset' auto action.

Anyway, when we upgrade our WS, I'll ask the PS team to support the upgrade. When 11.7 is released, we'll start the upgrade project with PS team.

Thank you for your kind explanation.

Best regards,

Naoki