Urgent! ... Trados Business Manager does not start anymore. No reason!

Dear friends, this is BAD, please ... help me ...
With NO any apparent reason, my Business Manager ceased to work ... It was working perfectly fine untill, at a certain point, it get stucked and now even after restarting updating etc etc my system says that the "settings.bin" file is being in use by another process ... I think this is not possible. No any action has been taken while I was working on the business manager (no update, no upgrade; nothing!)

Hope we can find a solution ASAP!
Many thanks.
Pietro

Parents
  • Plesae guys ... I need some help!
    What whould I do, reinstal everithing?
    Please, Eugene ...

• Hi Pietro,

Not sure why, but I didn't get notification about this thread.  But got it today.

Looks like it says that the app can't access settings file. So, will it launch if you simply delete this file? This file only contains information about database file location. So, if you delete this file, and if you use non-default database location, then empty database will be created in default location after deleting this file. If the app launches correctly, go to settings, change database path, and answer No to the question about moving ypur current database into a new location (because 8f you answer Yes, this empty database will overwrite your real database. Then, restart the app and it should work.

• Thank You Eugene. I will try tomorrow ...

I have a question ...

When I installed business manager I made a mistake ... I choose as installation folder, a folder with a very long name. Is there a way (while I am going to delete that settings file) to rename the installation folder changing it from "SDL_Business_Manager" into something like "SDLBM" ... Does it make sense? (Because I think I have problem with long paths) ... If business manager would be a 64 bit program, would it be different? Is there any plan to make business manager and trados studio itself a 64 bit app???

Sorry for so many questions.

I will let you know tomorrow about the setti g file.

Many thanks.

Pietro

• Well, it depends. You can simply rename installation folder, and application will still work. However, if you run installer with new version, it will attempt to install into a folder stored in registry. So, it's better to reinstall completely. The only thing you need to backup is sdf database file. Nothing more. And settings.bin, if you use non-default database location.

If business manager would be a 64 bit program, would it be different? Is there any plan to make business manager and trados studio itself a 64 bit app???

Yes, next version will be 64-bit. It will be completely new, attempting to solve all downsides which we have in TBM today.

• I'm responsible only for business manager Slight smile And yes, want to make it working on macs!  we're focused on this, maybe 4 months from now. But no promises! Btw, it's planned to implement auto updater as well, so no more updates and installs. Long work ahead and only bug fixing updates for the current version, but i believe that's worth that! ))

• About the settings.bin file ... Well, that was STRANGE ... All I had to do was to rename the file, and a brand NEW settings.bin file has been automatically created by Business Manager SAVING all the previous data! ... So, who knows ... maybe the file went simply get corropted or, who knows? ... By the way, it seems it works now as before!

Thank You Mate !!! Slight smileSlight smileSlight smile

Have a great day!
    Pietro

• About the settings.bin file ... Well, that was STRANGE ... All I had to do was to rename the file, and a brand NEW settings.bin file has been automatically created by Business Manager SAVING all the previous data! ... So, who knows ... maybe the file went simply get corropted or, who knows? ... By the way, it seems it works now as before!

Thank You Mate !!! Slight smileSlight smileSlight smile

Have a great day!
    Pietro

Children
No Data