Change Studio file locations

Hi.

Studio creates a folder tree in "My Documents". Is it possible to change the location of this tree to another location, e.g., OneDrive, different volume?

I am able to do it on an individual basis, i.e., per project, but I would like to get a configuration (preferences, options) where I changed once and forgot.

Best.

Guilherme R Basilio

+55 21 98621-1819
+44 20 3239-1819 (UK)
+1 347 321-8191 (USA)

7 Replies Latest Replies: 10 Nov 2017 9:34 PM by Paul < 1   2  >
  • Hi  

Yes, change the path to your projects in your default template, or even have different paths for different templates:

You'll find this in File -> Setup -> Project Templates

• In reply to Guilherme R Basilio:

Hi ,

Translation Memories and TermBases can be stored wherever you like. Each project has an sdlproj file that contains meta data pointing to these resources. So if you change the location of your projects it won't affect the location of your Translation Memories and TermBases. Studio will still know where to find them.
  • In reply to Paul:

So if you change the location of your projects it won't affect the location of your Translation Memories and TermBases. Studio will still know where to find them.

Provided, the path to TMs/TBs is exact the same after you moved the project. For example, if the TM/TB was stored in the same location as the project and you move the project, the path to TM/TB will change and Studio will request you to enter the new path when opening the project again.

This works like that:
    Project and project files are the same as your car, fully loaded for holiday. The car is moving around, but you all the time know, where the things are, regardless of the position of the car. This is why the project can be moved. But TMs and TBs are treated by Studio in a different way. They are not seen as a part of the car, but as a part of the car location at the very moment the car has been loaded. So if you start in Frankfurt/Main Studio will consider your TM/TB to be in Frankfurt/Main. Now you drive with the project to Cologne and take the TMs/TBs in your trunk with you. Studio will see all the files being with the car in Cologne, but will still assume TMs/TBs to be in Frankfurt. Thus it will not find them.

Conclusion: create a special folder for TMs/TBs , where they will be kept for all your projects. This will be the absolute path Studio will remember. Then you can move all your projects around the place, changing the relative paths for project files - and Studio will put the relative and absolute paths together and not moan about missing resources or whatever.
< 1   2  >

Related