I want to insert <cf size=6> </cf>

I'm a beginner and I'm translating English file into Japanese.

Sourse file is a pdf file.

I converted it to ms word 2010.

I made a project English to Japanese from the docx file.

There are many tags like

<cf size=7></cf>

<cf size=7.5></cf>

in the left pane (English sourse)

But when I preview Japanese MS word, Japanese characters are pretty big and it didn't show fully.

For example,  Arigato -> Ariga (they are Japanese letters)

So I want to make their font size smaller.

(Question 1)

There are <cf size=7></cf> in the left pane (English sourse), I tried to copy and edit them to <cf size=6></cf>.

But I didn't know how I can edit the tag.

Can I edit the tags?

(Question 2)

Or, if I could extend text box size of MS word, I may not have to make letters smaller.

But I don't know if I can change the MS word file's attribute like text box position, text box size, colour and so on.

Are there any way to edit the object layout, object size, attribute of objects and so on?

7 Replies Latest Replies: 8 Nov 2018 8:06 PM by Paul < 1   2  >
  • Hi

You cannot change the attributes in Studio. The best approach is to clean up the DOCX you converted and then translate it. You'd probably have to clean up the target file anyway so you might as well do this at the start and make the translation easier.

There some nice tools for this, for example:

appstore.sdl.com/.../
  • In reply to Paul:

Hi Paul,
    Thank you for understanding my problem and giving me the good advice.
    I had been struggling to change the size and I had been exhausted.
    Now I can stop the sterile effort.
    Thank you very much.

I will try to use the tools too.
    Thank you for introducing.

By the way, when i translate English pdf file to Japanese which has a lot of charts, which way do you recommend?

English source is
    (1) pdf
    (2) docx converted from pdf by MS Word

The main problem is Japanese is run over the text boxes and so on.

Aside from this, I encounter the problem

Key already exists Parameternavn: Key

community.sdl.com/.../14602

It was really serious problem and your answer worked perfectlly for me.

Thank you very much about this case too.
  • In reply to Junji Mori:

Junji Mori
    By the way, when i translate English pdf file to Japanese which has a lot of charts, which way do you recommend?

English source is
    (1) pdf
    (2) docx converted from pdf by MS Word

The main problem is Japanese is run over the text boxes and so on.

I think you really need to to do a good job of the conversion and make sure the DOCX is a proper, and clean table/chart, before you translate the DOCX (not the PDF).  Maybe even replace the converted charts with clean images in the DOCX that you created from the original PDF.

PDF conversion is sometimes so complex that recreating the file in a more translatable format is the best way to go.

• In reply to Paul:

I really appreciate it.
    Now I've understood clearly the meaning of "The best approach is to clean up the DOCX you converted and then translate it. You'd probably have to clean up the target file anyway so you might as well do this at the start and make the translation easier." and reason to use the tool you recommended.

The tip is making a good quality docx beforehand and use this as the source file.

Thank you very much for your very quick reply too.
  • In reply to Junji Mori:

Junji Mori
    The tip is making a good quality docx beforehand and use this as the source file.

...or put either the same or even WAY LESS effort into getting the original document from which the PDF was created from the client.

From my experience, in most cases clients provide the PDF format not because there isn't any other choice, but simply because they are not educaed enough and don't know that PDF is NOT just a document as any other.
    And what's worse, way too many translators or PMs make the situation worse by accepting the PDF (again, in many cases for very same reason) instead of pushing the clients into providing sensible source formats.

< 1   2  >
Related