Things you do in SDL Studio that it probably wasn't really intended for

I've been using Trados from version 6.5 (parallel port dongle!) and now use SDL Studio 2019. Over the years I have found a few strange uses (the ones that get friends who use SDL Studio giving me a funny look when I mention my "hack" having a beer) although in the cold light of day they have often come back to me and said, that crazy as my suggestion sounded in the bar, it might actually work and be useful. Does anyone else have similar uses?

One such example is one I call "Monolingual SDL Studio in Excel". We get a lot of questionnaires to fill out in Excel where the answers are as narrative texts (think word-processing in Excel...) which I receive for editing / language check. Since the questionnaires are usually from the same sources (international organisations), their format is standardised. I have a little Excel Macro that recolours all their questions cells (ie. to then allow me to ignore those cells) and then only the output that I want to edit is shown in SDL Studio. I have a project definition set up, only for editting Excel files, and the empty TM I have is either in German (German (Liechtenstein)-German (Germany)) or English (in SDL Studio 2019 I use English(Europe) - English(UK)) and then set up the project. Where it also works well is when the same answer is given to multiple questions in ensuring consistency. At the end of it, I export the target file and use another Excel Macro to change the recoloured cells back. 

10 Replies Latest Replies: 23 Nov 2018 11:20 PM by Paul < 1   2  >

10 Replies

• Hi

Nice workflow... although I think it's exactly what Studio is intended for. Great that you share this idea though as I'm sure it'll be a useful process for others faced with these sort of tasks.

My personal favourite is to use Studio as a PDF converter. The PDF filetype, and IRIS, definitley wasn't provided to use just as a converter. The intention was to be able to open a PDF and translate it. I have a different use and workflow for PDFs as I think you are better off opening the PDF in Studio using Ctrl+Shift+O and then closing the file immediately. This gets you a DOCX which you can tidy up (transtools or something like that...) and then you translate the DOCX in Studio instead. If you don't have Abby or something like that for your conversions then Studio is a great solution and it will save time dealing with tags in the translation, and in DTP work after the translation.
  • In reply to Paul:

Hi , hi  

I use Studio as a PDF converter too, creating a Word file then tidying it up and base the translation project on that.

If the client wants a Target PDF, all you then have to do after translation is Save as Target, open the resulting Word file (which is what you get anyway when translating from PDF) then you can Save as from Word to PDF.

All the best,

Ali :)

• Hi there,
    There is a regular feature called 'Perfect Match'. It was invented by SDL long time ago, but it is still hardly used/known and therefore 'workaround'ed by translators. Once translated from German1 to German2 (or from English1 to English2), you can use your translation.sdlxliff as a template for your future translating/editing jobs. No need to apply makeshift macro before and after translation or do any other additional actions.

• In reply to Stepan Konev:

Stepan Konev
    There is a regular feature called 'Perfect Match'. It was invented by SDL long time ago, but it is still hardly used/known and therefore 'workaround'ed by translators.

I believe that's because - for some obscure reason - it's available only in (awfully expensive, therefore rarely used by common translators) Professional version. At least that's what Paul said several times (personally I don't know, I only used Pro version).

• In reply to Evzen Polenka:

Unfortunately I am not that rich as to buy Pro =) I use Freelance Plus.

UPDATE: Err... My bad... I use Freelance Plus at home. Now I am on rotation at my employer's office. We work with Pro indeed. That's why I can use PM. My work schedule is so that I mostly work on rotation. When on vacation, I do my best to minimize or, even better, evade any workload. This is why I didn't notice the difference. Sorry for misinformation.

< 1   2  >
Related