Editing Project templates

In my company, we are using a lots of Project templates customized to the various needs of our clients + certain file types.
For each client, we use from 2 to 10 different project templates, with diverse settings. This is in order to simplify the job of our PM who then don't have to customize the settings for each and every job, and rather use the appropriate template.

But this brings another issue: with any new updates, and even more when we change Studio versions, we sometimes have to update all the project templates (and we use hundreds of these!), since they sometimes don't work properly with the new version in some cases. Is there any simple way, or an application that would help us to update the project template easily, and apply the changes to all our project templates? I search for an app doing this in the app store, and didn't find any...

Thank you!

5 Replies Latest Replies: 6 Dec 2018 9:52 AM by Steven Whale
  • Hello @Annik Provencher ,

As you have already mentioned, you use multiple templates for a wide variety of clients and which need updating at irregular intervals.
    Unfortunately there is not an app that can automate or simplify this process, due to the very nature of 'templates'.

However, maybe the following app -
    appstore.sdl.com/.../
    would help simplify and speed up the PM's work, by allowing you to add a template to multiple projects?
    When migrating to a new Studio version, it is advisable to create new templates as those from an older version will often cause unwanted issues.
  • In reply to Steven Whale:

Hi, Steven,

Is there any way of creating a new template from scratch with a new version of Studio?

As far as I can see, the help mentions that one can create a new template by right-clicking on any project and then "Create project Template".

After an upgrade, all our existing projects will have been created with the previous version of Studio using templates from the previous version. I am not sure if a template created out of and old project will be really "new" or whether it will cause unwanted issues.

What kind of unwanted issues could expect?

Thanks!

Daniel
  • In reply to Daniel García Magariños:

Hi  

Daniel García Magariños
    Is there any way of creating a new template from scratch with a new version of Studio?

The only way to do this is to create new projects and save them as a template as you work; or only create them from projects that have been created in the new version of Studio using the new default template.

Daniel García Magariños
    After an upgrade, all our existing projects will have been created with the previous version of Studio using templates from the previous version. I am not sure if a template created out of and old project will be really "new" or whether it will cause unwanted issues.

It could create unwanted issues.  For example:

- older versions of the filetypes

- missing features

- underlying logic used in the software that is looking for something only available in a new template

Unfortunately we don't provide any proper migration tools for these things when upgrading, which is unfortunate.  But using older templates is a little like upgrading your car but keeping some of the old engine parts ;-)

• In reply to Paul:

Cool, thanks for the additional clarificatrions, Paul.
  • In reply to Steven Whale:

Thank you, this is exactly why I wanted an option to easily modify templates to the most recent version: we sould then have just create one template or a few ones, and apply the settings to all other ones, without changing the termbase or TM. I know the app you are suggesting, but unfortunately, it doesn't serve that puprose, since it works on actual projects, not on templates. Thank you anyway for your answer

Related