Strange characters in source segment

I am translating a Word file from a PDF conversion.

It produces the following garbled display in one of the source segments:

This is with Studio 2017 SR1.

The editor setting for "Formatting display style" is set to "Show all tags but do not show formatting".

I remember seeing things like this happen in the past when Studio was having trouble with fonts. The solution was to use the above setting for "Formatting display style".

This is different. The source file contains two little "box" symbols produced from a PDF conversion. The boxes are from the boxes that were in the legend of a chart in the PDF file.

Here is the test Word file I used to isolate the problem characters. It contains only the two box symbols: 

0574.test.docx

When characters like this are mixed in with regular characters (in this case it was a chart legend, with each of these characters followed by a text label), it is difficult to locate and edit the text that needs to be translated.

Any suggestions? Is there a setting I can change to see something reasonable in the editor? (By the way, these special characters are also stored in the TM when I confirm a segment.)

Best regards,
Bruce Campbell
ASAP Language Services

9 Replies Latest Replies: 6 Dec 2018 3:28 PM by Saerome Lee < 1   2  >
  • Dunno

    I have failed to reproduce your problem with the file you posted

  • In reply to Saerome Lee:

    Hi Saerome,

    Thank you for checking. We might be using different versions of Studio.

    I am using Studio 2017 SR1. Are you using a different version?

    Or perhaps it is due to the language combination you are using. These special characters might be part of the regular font in your language. (I was using German to English.)

    Best regards,
    Bruce Campbell
    ASAP Language Services

  • In reply to Bruce Campbell:

    the SDL Trados Studio version of mine is the same one with you
    Source language is English, destination is Korean

    regards
  • In reply to Saerome Lee:

    Paul, could you try reproducing my problem?

    Sorry to bother everyone with this.

    I wanted to try the same languages as Saerome, but it is not as easy as it used to be to change the 5 default languages. A Windows repair of Studio used to work, but when I tried it now, Studio did not ask me to enter my 5 languages :-(

    A re-installation also used to work, but when I downloaded the Studio installation file from SDL.com, it refused to install over my existing Studio, saying I was running a later version and I would have to first uninstall and then install.

    I am reluctant to uninstall Studio unless I really have to, as Studio is running fine now and I don't want to anger the gods by playing around with it too much.

    I just wanted to find out whether the strange display of these characters indicates a problem with my specific installation of Studio, or with Studio in general.

    If it is my specific installation, then I will uninstall and reinstall.

    As I mentioned before, I am running Studio 2017 SR1 (14.1.10014.38031).

    The test file only contains 2 characters: 2318.test.docx

    Best regards,
    Bruce Campbell
    ASAP Language Services

< 1   2  >
Related