SDL 2019, Windows 10, Parallels 14

Has anyone else installed SDL 2019 SR1 under Windows 10 on a Parallels 14 VM? I have allocated 20 GB of my 40 GB RAM to the VM, which should be more than sufficient. However, I am still experiencing significant speed issues under SDL 2019, which includes frequent crashes. I can only assume that Parallels 14 is causing the problem somewhere, but I have yet to find a solution. I found an earlier entry about "Shared Folders" as a possible issue.

Any thoughts?

17 Replies Latest Replies: 16 Jan 2019 10:27 AM by Daniel Hug < 1   2   3   4  >
  • Hi scb,

Studio is a 32 bit application which limits the amount of RAM it can use. This is discussed a bit here:

https://community.sdl.com/ideas/translation-productivity-ideas/i/trados-studio-ideas/64-bit-version-of-studio

Daniel

• In reply to Daniel Hug:

So SDL 2019 SR1 is still a 32-bit version? That would possibly explain why it is so paiiiiiinfully slow under Win 10 and Parallels 14 VM? I never had issues under Win 7 and SDL 2014...but the upgrade to SDL 2019 has been disappointing.

My TM is on stored on a NAS, which may also contribute to the speed issues.
  • Hi, I use Trados in parallels 13, Windows 10-32! for Greek translations. It seems Windows 10-32 can have a much bigger space allocated not so limited ;-) I also have a 2nd virtual machine Windows 10-64 but Trados seems not to run, so I choose 32 bits. Please let me know if you find other solutions since I have already bought Parallels 14 but not yet installed. I believe 13 & 14 can not run together. My direct mail is office@elef.net and I never change files neither Projects allocation. For my organisation translations are managed in iCloud only before and after translation.
  • In reply to Elef Vakalis:

Hi Elef,

I'll let you know if I find a solution to the problem. Many thanks.
  • In reply to scb:

scb
    So SDL 2019 SR1 is still a 32-bit version? That would possibly explain why it is so paiiiiiinfully slow under Win 10 and Parallels 14 VM? I never had issues under Win 7 and SDL 2014...but the upgrade to SDL 2019 has been disappointing.

Do you actually understand what did you say here?
    You are comparing apples with oranges... so the speed difference is NOT caused by 32-bit application, neither by Parallels... but by the difference between Studio 2014 and Studio 2019 SR1!!!

THAT is the core of the speed issues, nothing else.

I would recommend to get more familiar with the under-the-hood significant changes between Studio 2014 and Studio 2019 SR1, especially when it comes to TM lookups and related stuff (fragment matches, etc.), then you would understand much better.

< 1   2   3   4  >
Related