Fail to work with translation memory in Studio 2017: "Object reference not set to an instance of an object", in both Studio and Multiterm.

Hi all,

 

Since yesterday I am having massive troubles with my termbases when using my SDL Trados Studio 2017.

 

When I try to add new terminology by using the F2-key, I receive this error code: "Object reference not set to an instance of an object".

I have been looking on the SDL help forums and been troubleshooting for hours now, still with no success whatsoever.

 

What I have done so far:

IN STUDIO:

- View: 'reestablish original view' (as elsewhere suggested by Paul from SDL)

- Changed the name path of the SDL-folder on my C-disk (username> SDL> change folder name) by adding "_old" to it. (as elsewhere suggested by Paul from SDL)

   I did the same for my Multiterm folder.

- Checked for any available Studio updates (there were none).

 

Closed and restarted both Studio and my computer after each of the above-mentioned changes.

 

IN MULTITERM:

- Opened the existing termbase with Termbase Management, received an error code: "An error occurred while parsing Entity Name. Line 1, position 147".

- Reorganised the existing termbase.

- Added 3 more languages to the existing termbase.

 

Closed and restarted both Multiterm and my computer after each of these changes. None of the attempts had any effect.

 

- Opened Studio and tried to add term with F2-key, not working.

- Deleted the existing termbase, tried to create a new one. Ran through all the usual steps (termbase name, choose languages, etcetera).

  Still not working because of error message upon finishing creation of new termbase: "Object reference not set to an instance of an object".

 

I really don't know what else I could do and I have wasted hours on this issue now, so an urgent solution would be greatly appreciated!

4 Replies Latest Replies: 13 Mar 2019 8:23 AM by Steven Whale
  • Hello  ,

     

    I believe this has to do with ampersands in the file name/path.

    Removing these should resolve the problem

    https://gateway.sdl.com/apex/communityknowledge?articleName=000005145

     

    Please also ensure that both Studio and MultiTerm are both up-to-date.

     

     

     

  • In reply to Steven Whale:

    Hi,
    I have the same problem but no & in the TB name.
    I can´t even create a new TB anymore as I get this error message:

    Method not found:"Sdl.MultiTerm.Client.Connections.ServerPrivilege
    Sdl.MultiTerm.Client.Connections.ServerProxy.LogIn (System.String.System.String.System.String.Boolean.Boolean. Sdl. Enterprise2.Studio.Platform.Client.IdentityModel.PersistOption)

    ArnePrové: do you have this too?


    Can anyone please help?

    Thanks in advance :)
  • In reply to Steven Whale:

    Hi Steven,

    I had never heard of this explanation before, but the TB actually did contain an ampersand.
    Funny enough though, this morning while opening the project again, all of a sudden (and with no new attempts after all that I had tried yesterday) the TB issue no longer existed and I can now new add terms again. Just like that, out of the blue.

    But thank you for your reply anyways.
    As soon as I get the same error code in some future, I will try the remove-ampersand option at once!
  • In reply to Veruska Corbelli:

    Hi Veruska!


    I have never seen the error code that you are mentioning here.

    Also, the Multiterm wizard for new termbases actually did let me create a new one.
    That is to say, I could go through the usual screens for creating a new termbase (choose name, choose languages, choose labels, etcetera).

    Only in the very last screen (when clicking the Finish button), the "Object reference not set to an instance of an object" error code appeared.

    So I think that you are having another problem than the one that I encountered.


    I wish you all the best of luck with finding a solution, though!

Related