Duplicate TUs created when making corrections in Editor mode

I have been experiencing this problem for a while. Many times (not always) - either after I have started a project as "Translate single document" or after having been sent a package from a client - when I go to make a change/correction to a TU I have already translated and confirmed earlier, a duplicate TU is created rather than the old one being overwritten. The problem is that I end up erasing the duplicates manually, which is time-consuming and defeats the purpose of using a "fast" tool. How can this be corrected? As mentioned, it does not happen every time, so I am assuming it may not be related to a problem in the global settings. Please refer to attached a document containing the relevant screenshots.

DuplicateTUs.docx

18 Replies Latest Replies: 13 Dec 2016 10:30 PM by Paul < 1   2   3   4  >
  • Hi Vicky,

Can you reproduce this in a particular scenario? Have you checked your shortcuts for "Add as new translation"? Where are your TMs located and how many are you using in your project?

And what version of Studio are you using... the full build number please. Looks like 2015, but which one?

Regards

Paul
  • In reply to Paul:

Hi Paul,

Your question about particular scenarios got me thinking, so I started playing around. I am pretty sure that the problem seems to appear when I add TMs to a project using the Any TM option. This is something I do often, as half of my clients want their translations in UK English and the other half in US English. The Any TM option was very helpful, as it solved the problem of having to export and import TMs all the time. But there may be a glitch there. Please refer to attached document for detailed scenarios.

In answer to your other questions, my TMs are located in a file named Studio Memories in my local C drive (not in the default Studio 2015 file). All my TMs are also synced to a cloud through SygarSync. I may use anywhere between 1 and 4 TMs for a single project (in various language combinations & even reverse TMs). As for the "Add as a new translation" shortcut, not entirely sure what you mean.

I am currently using Studio 2015 SR2 - 12.2.5195.7. I have purchased Studio 2017 and even attended the Athens Roadshow, but have not upgraded to it yet (too busy). However, would be happy to do so immediately if there are no duplicate glitches with that one.

Awaiting your update.

Regards

Vicky

Duplicate_TUs_Scenarios.docx

• In reply to Paul:

Hi Paul,

I have not received any updates on this issue or my reply on 14 December. Can you please let me know whether there's a way of resolving this problem?

Thanks,

Vicky
  • In reply to Vicky Ghionis:

Hi Vicky,

Apologies for not getting back to you.  Based on your response it sounds to me as though the combination of TMs you are using and working with AnyTM may be the root of the problem.  Not because there is a bug, but because you are somehow adding TUs to multiple TMs.  Can you check the individual TMs to see whether or not the TU that shows up in your results is actually in multiple TMs, or if it is duplicated into one TM?

On the "Add as new Translation Unit", I mean just double check that you are not inadvertently using this command via a keyboard shortcut perhaps?

Thanks

Paul

• In reply to Paul:

Hi Paul,

No, TUs are not added to multiple TMs. Firstly, according to Scenario 2 in the document attached to the message I sent on 14 Dec, duplicate TUs appear even when only ONE memory is used for the project (but through the Any TM option). In other cases, I may use multiple TMs, but only one is usually updated and the rest are only used for look-up. In all cases, I have checked and duplicate TUs appear in a single TM (NOT in all of them). Otherwise, why call them "duplicates"? I have done some research of my own online and other people seem to be having the same problem as well. I have also discussed the issue with colleagues over the last week and nearly all of them have encountered this problem at one stage or another, although they are not sure if it happens when they use the Any TM option.

And again, just to be clear, we are talking about duplicate TUs in a single TM each time. This means translating a TU, saving it, going back and making a correction to it, saving it again, and having two versions in the SAME TM (the older incorrect one and the updated one). Actually, I was playing around just now and I repeated the process 6 times (correct a segment, save it, correct it again, save it again, etc.) and ended up with 6 TUs in a single TM for a single segment! Is it possible for you to recreate Scenario 2 using the Studio build I am using and see if you encounter the same problem?

Lastly, I do not inadvertently use the "Add as New Translation Unit".

Thanks

Vicky
< 1   2   3   4  >
Related