Upgrading from 2015 to 2019

As the title indicates, I want to upgrade from 2015 to 2019 and have several questions.

• Do I download new software or is the change integrated in my 2015 program?
  • If the change is not integrated into 2015, can I still keep using 2015?
  • Are 2015 memories usable in 2019?
  • Can projects created in 2015 be opened and used in 2019?

Thanks in advance for helping me answer these questions.

Best regards,

Anna Fitzgerald

1 Replies Latest Replies: 23 Oct 2018 8:06 AM by Steven Whale
  • Hello  ,

Thank you for your interest in upgrading.

Anna Fitzgerald
    Do I download new software or is the change integrated in my 2015 program?

When you decide to upgrade your software, you are actually purchasing a brand-new full version. Your current version is in itself NOT upgraded and you will need to download and install the new version. Just to be clear- the difference between an 'upgraded license' and a 'new license' is purely price (upgrades being far cheaper than purchasing new).

Anna Fitzgerald
    If the change is not integrated into 2015, can I still keep using 2015?

To make the transition from one version to the next as smooth as possible, we allow you (freelancers only) to keep your old license for a limited time. This article explains the process is more detail-

https://community.sdl.com/product-groups/translationproductivity/w/customer-experience/1237.can-i-keep-my-old-license-after-upgrading-from-studio-2014-or-2015-to-studio-2019

Anna Fitzgerald
    Are 2015 memories usable in 2019?

Yes they are- all Studio memories are in SDLTM format- You may also want to benefit from the new features (available since the 2017 release) such as upLIFT FuzzyMatch repair - for more information- https://www.sdltrados.com/products/trados-studio/freelance/whats-new.html

Anna Fitzgerald
    Can projects created in 2015 be opened and used in 2019?

Yes you can. However, if you are still working on a project in Studio 2015- I would always suggest finishing the current project in 2015 and then slowly migrating to Studio 2019 for all new projects that you receive. I would not advocate switching versions mid-project.

Related