Studio shuts down whenever there is an error message

Hi,

I have recently purchased Studio 2021 Freelance version and am experiencing an issue where, every time there is an error message, Studio shuts down. I have not had these issues in previous versions of Studio. If there has been an error message, I can simply press Okay and continue working. This is a major issue for me now, since it means I don’t get to save my work before it closes down.

Here is one of the error messages where this happens (When I press my shortcut Ctrl+W to use the iate plugin in certain projects where the iate plugin does not work):

Please help!

Kind regards,

Ida

• Hello

It is essential that we see the full error stack as 'Object Reference... is very generic and doesn't tell us anything at all.

Pl;ease click on the disk symbol and save the XML to your desktop. You can then attach this to the thread which will provide us with more information.

As you mention the IATE plugin, I would suggest you remove this, then update Studio to the latest version (Help- Check for updates) and then reinstall the plugin.

• Hi,

I have attached the XML file. The IATE plugin never works with projects from this particular client (not in any version of Studio), so I am not surprised that it is not working. I just don't want whole programme to shut down every time I forget that the IATE shortcut is not working for the project in question... 

sdlerror-202168-13h58m45s.sdlerror.sdlerror.xml
    <SDLErrorDetails time="08/06/2021 13:58:51">
      <ErrorMessage>Object reference not set to an instance of an object.</ErrorMessage>
      <Exception>
        <Type>System.NullReferenceException, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089</Type>
        <HelpLink />
        <Source>Sdl.TranslationStudio.Editor</Source>
        <HResult>-2147467261</HResult>
        <StackTrace><![CDATA[   at Sdl.TranslationStudio.Editor.AbstractActiveRangeAction.IsActionEnabled()
       at Sdl.TranslationStudio.Api.Implementation.Editor.AbstractActiveDocumentAction.UpdateAction()
       at Sdl.TranslationStudio.Editor.AbstractActiveRangeAction.sideBySideEditor_Target_Entered(Object sender, EventArgs e)
       at System.EventHandler.Invoke(Object sender, EventArgs e)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnGotFocus(EventArgs e)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeGotFocus(Control toInvoke, EventArgs e)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmSetFocus(Message& m)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
       at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)]]></StackTrace>
      </Exception>
      <Environment>
        <ProductName>SDL Trados Studio</ProductName>
        <ProductVersion>Studio16</ProductVersion>
        <EntryAssemblyFileVersion>16.1.4.4184</EntryAssemblyFileVersion>
        <OperatingSystem>Microsoft Windows 10 Home</OperatingSystem>
        <ServicePack>NULL</ServicePack>
        <OperatingSystemLanguage>2057</OperatingSystemLanguage>
        <CodePage>1252</CodePage>
        <LoggedOnUser>LAPTOP-OD06SH70\idaky</LoggedOnUser>
        <DotNetFrameWork>4.0.30319.42000</DotNetFrameWork>
        <ComputerName>LAPTOP-OD06SH70</ComputerName>
        <ConnectedToNetwork>True</ConnectedToNetwork>
        <PhysicalMemory>16537592 MB</PhysicalMemory>
      </Environment>
    </SDLErrorDetails>

• Hello ,

he IATE plugin never works with projects from this particular client

It would be useful to know which version of Studio (and IATE plugin) the client is using.

IATE has been updated recently, so its possible they may have an older version that's no longer supported (which is causing the issue).

If they are using IATE, they should remove the plugin and then reinstall the latests version.

• It is actually not the client that used the IATE Pluin; it is something I have attached on my end. I installed IATE just the other day so it should be the newest version.

• It now shut down again, but this time I used a different shortcut: for showing and hiding whitespace.

sdlerror-202168-14h41m24s.sdlerror.sdlerror.xml
    <SDLErrorDetails time="08/06/2021 14:41:31">
      <ErrorMessage>Index was outside the bounds of the array.</ErrorMessage>
      <Exception>
        <Type>System.IndexOutOfRangeException, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089</Type>
        <HelpLink />
        <Source>Sdl.TranslationStudio.Editor.Subsegment</Source>
        <HResult>-2146233080</HResult>
        <StackTrace><![CDATA[   at Sdl.TranslationStudio.Editor.Subsegment.Utils.SubsegmentMatchesUtil.GetFormattingInlines(Color highLightingColor, BitArray documentSegmentCharsCovered, Int32 startPos, Int32 length, String text)
       at Sdl.TranslationStudio.Editor.Subsegment.Utils.SubsegmentMatchesUtil.GetFormattingInlines(Int32 tokenIndex, Int32 tokenCount, IReadOnlyList`1 tokens, Color highLightingColor, String& matchedText, BitArray documentSegmentCharsCovered, Boolean showWhitespacesInfo)
       at Sdl.TranslationStudio.Editor.Subsegment.View.Winforms.SubsegmentMatchesViewPartControl.GetMatchViewModel(IEditorTranslationResults translationResults, SubsegmentSearchResult result, BitArray documentSegmentCharsCovered)
       at Sdl.TranslationStudio.Editor.Subsegment.View.Winforms.SubsegmentMatchesViewPartControl.<>c__DisplayClass36_0.<AddResults>b__2(SubsegmentSearchResult subsegmentSearchResult)
       at System.Linq.Enumerable.WhereSelectEnumerableIterator`2.MoveNext()
       at System.Collections.Generic.List`1.InsertRange(Int32 index, IEnumerable`1 collection)
       at Sdl.TranslationStudio.Editor.Subsegment.View.Winforms.SubsegmentMatchesViewPartControl.AddResults(IEditorTranslationResults translationResults)
       at Sdl.TranslationStudio.Editor.Subsegment.View.Wpf.SubsegmentMatchesViewPart.AddResults(IEditorTranslationResults results)
       at Sdl.TranslationStudio.Editor.Subsegment.View.Wpf.SubsegmentMatchesViewPart.SubsegmentMatchesWindowSettings_PropertiesChanged(Object sender, EventArgs e)
       at Sdl.TranslationStudio.Editor.Subsegment.Settings.SubsegmentMatchesWindowSettings.OnPropertyChanged(EventArgs e)
       at Sdl.TranslationStudio.Editor.TranslationEditor.Actions.ShowWhitespaceCharactersAction.Execute()
       at Sdl.Desktop.Platform.Implementation.CommandBars.ActionService.<>c__DisplayClass30_0.<ExecuteAction>b__0()
       at Sdl.Desktop.Logger.Log.Resources(Object message, Action action)
       at Sdl.Desktop.Platform.Implementation.CommandBars.ActionService.ExecuteAction(IAction action, ActionOrigin origin, Boolean allowToggle)
       at Sdl.Desktop.Platform.WinForms.IgCommandBarAction.Execute()
       at Sdl.Desktop.Platform.WinForms.IgCommandBarAction._lazyButtonTool_ToolClick(Object sender, ToolClickEventArgs e)
       at Infragistics.Win.UltraWinToolbars.ToolBase.OnToolClick(ToolClickEventArgs e)
       at Infragistics.Win.UltraWinToolbars.UltraToolbarsManager.OnToolClick(ToolClickEventArgs e)
       at Infragistics.Win.UltraWinToolbars.UltraToolbarsManager.FireEvent(ToolbarEventIds id, EventArgs e)
       at Infragistics.Win.UltraWinToolbars.StateButtonTool.set_Checked(Boolean value)
       at Sdl.Desktop.Platform.WinForms.IgCommandBarAction.UpdateSharedProperties(ButtonTool buttonTool, ActionProperties properties)
       at Sdl.Desktop.Platform.WinForms.IgCommandBarAction.Update(ActionProperties properties)
       at Sdl.Desktop.Platform.WinForms.IgCommandBarAction.OnActionPropertyChanged(ActionPropertyChangedEventArgs e)
       at Sdl.Desktop.Platform.Implementation.CommandBars.AbstractCommandBarAction._action_PropertyChanged(Object sender, ActionPropertyChangedEventArgs e)
       at Sdl.Desktop.Platform.CommandBars.AbstractAction.OnPropertyChanged(ActionPropertyChangedEventArgs e)
       at Sdl.Desktop.Platform.CommandBars.AbstractAction.set_Checked(Boolean value)
       at Sdl.Desktop.Platform.Implementation.CommandBars.ActionService.ExecuteAction(IAction action, ActionOrigin origin, Boolean allowToggle)
       at Sdl.Desktop.Platform.Implementation.CommandBars.ActionService.ExecuteActionForShortcut(Keys shortcut)
       at Sdl.Desktop.Platform.WinForms.StudioWindowForm.OnPreviewKeyDown(Keys keys)
       at Sdl.Desktop.Platform.WinForms.GlobalKeysMessageFilter.PreFilterMessage(Message& m)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.ProcessFilters(MSG& msg, Boolean& modified)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.PreTranslateMessage(MSG& msg)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponent.FPreTranslateMessage(MSG& msg)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ComponentManager.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponentManager.FPushMessageLoop(IntPtr dwComponentID, Int32 reason, Int32 pvLoopData)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoopInner(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoop(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
       at Sdl.TranslationStudio.Application.Launcher.RunApplication()]]></StackTrace>
      </Exception>
      <Environment>
        <ProductName>SDL Trados Studio</ProductName>
        <ProductVersion>Studio16</ProductVersion>
        <EntryAssemblyFileVersion>16.1.4.4184</EntryAssemblyFileVersion>
        <OperatingSystem>Microsoft Windows 10 Home</OperatingSystem>
        <ServicePack>NULL</ServicePack>
        <OperatingSystemLanguage>2057</OperatingSystemLanguage>
        <CodePage>1252</CodePage>
        <LoggedOnUser>LAPTOP-OD06SH70\idaky</LoggedOnUser>
        <DotNetFrameWork>4.0.30319.42000</DotNetFrameWork>
        <ComputerName>LAPTOP-OD06SH70</ComputerName>
        <ConnectedToNetwork>True</ConnectedToNetwork>
        <PhysicalMemory>16537592 MB</PhysicalMemory>
      </Environment>
    </SDLErrorDetails>

• To clarify: the problem only seems to appear when using shortcuts for functions. If I press the show/hide whitespace icon, I get the same error message (though the action itself works) but Studio does NOT shut down.

• Hi,

I have still not found a solution to this. Anytime an error message appears (regardless of what kind) Studio instantly shuts down and all work is lost. Please let me know what to do to fix this! 

• Please note that I am still experiencing this issue! Do you have any idea what the problem is? Again: it only occurs when I use shortcuts.