On Saturday 25th Sept, we are completing planned maintenance work on the SDL/RWS Account platform. The outage is expected to last from Saturday 03:00 BST to Monday 27th Sept 11:00 BST. During this time you will not be able to access SDL accounts or activate / deactivate licences. Apologies for the inconvenience this causes.

The algorithm of fuzzy matches in SDL Trados

Hello, my name is Wanzhi and I am a current MA Translation student at UCL CenTraS. I am working on my dissertation regarding the algorithm of fuzzy matches in different CAT tools. I will do test on three chosen CAT tools (SLD Trados is one of them) and see the differences of fuzzy matches in them so as to figure out some hints for translators whose language pair is English and Chinese. While doing test, I also want to include some official descriptions from the three chosen CAT tools about fuzzy matches in my dissertation. I have searched on your official website and looked at SDL Community but unfortunately there is not very much relevant information. Thus, I am sincerely asking for more information about the algorithm of fuzzy matches in SDL Trados. Looking forward to your prompt answer!

Top Replies

• I'm afraid we don't publish this information so you'll probably have to do a little reverse engineering to figure out what we do.  The logic being we have APIs available for developers…

• I'm afraid we don't publish this information so you'll probably have to do a little reverse engineering to figure out what we do.  The logic being we have APIs available for developers working with our tools so there is no real reason for them to have to calculate the matching themselves, and for anyone who doesn't work with our tools we have no reason to share this information.

I'm pretty sure there has been some discussion around this in the past and the algorithm isn't actually that complicated.  You may find something searching in here.

• Hello Paul, thank you very much for your reply! I will search for more discussion about the algorithm on the RWS Community.