Does Studio 2019 work over mobile tethering?

Hi everyone,

I'm having a hard time setting up Studio 2019 to work over USB mobile tethering. I can work as long as I do not restart my phone; if I do (i.e. everyday), I have to reset my licence (i.e. everyday). So far the helpdesk has suggested setting a static ethernet/mac address. How do I do that? I have turned off the "Use random hardware addresses" option in the Wi-Fi settings to no avail - I'm connected via USB.

Does anyone have experience working from a phone? How do you make Studio 2019 work without giving up on your privacy? Will 2021 work the same way?

Thank you.

Top Replies

Parents
  • Does anyone have experience working from a phone?

I do this whenever I'm travelling, but I don't normally turn off my phone so I have not come across this problem.  But I am aware of the problem since this is a limitation of the licensing system - Safenet.  The helpdesk has provided the only information they can.

How do you make Studio 2019 work without giving up on your privacy?

Not sure I understand this question.  Can you elaborate?

Will 2021 work the same way?

Yes, exactly the same way.  Although there other options with 2021 as there will be a mobile app available, and you can interact with your projects and translatable files over a browser as well as using Studio desktop.

• Hi , thank you for your quick reply.

The helpdesk has provided the only information they can.

I found some information online on how to setup a static IPv4 address. But very few about MAC addresses - and they are quite advanced. I will keep on looking...

About privacy, the description in Windows settings for random hardware addresses is:

> "Use random hardware addresses to make it harder for people to track your location when you connect to different Wi-Fi networks."

So I guess turning this option off has its privacy drawbacks?

• You said you were connected to your mobile phone?  I think that advice is more related to when you connect to a public wifi network.  So unless you're connecting your phone to a public wifi network and then connecting Studio to your phone (which seems like the long way around connectivity) it probably doesn't apply.

Reply Children
  • Thank you . You're right. As I mentioned, I'm using a USB connection.

I still have to find a way to set a static ethernet/mac address though. So I was wondering if there were any reason to be concerned about privacy when setting a static ethernet/mac address.

I am not working in an overly security-critical sector. I'm simply asking to understand the implications (hence my question on 2021 which is meant to be mobility friendly).

• I am not working in an overly security-critical sector. I'm simply asking to understand the implications (hence my question on 2021 which is meant to be mobility friendly).

It's friendly because there are more ways to work with your projects via the cloud.  None of this has anything to do with your problem which is security when connecting.  As soon as you connect to any network you are at risk... unless it's within a private network.  So how you deal with the risks has nothing to do with Studio at all, it's all to do with how and where you are connecting.