Detecting language please wait for.......
Is it possible to tell me how to change the language on an existing termbase from FR-EN(UK) to FR-EN(US)?
I'm afraid you cannot do this.
What you would need to do is to export, create a new TB and import the content.
Michael Beijer said:I tried using Glossary Converter, but it produces a .sdltb with "nl", rather than "Dutch".
Did it stop at the place where you can change the languages or did it automatically convert without asking? There is a flag for this:
Maybe that's your problem?
It did stop at a dialogue, which said:
But if I click on OK, it produces a TB with these languages:
Was there a way to change "nl" into "Dutch" back in that dialogue?
I managed to devise a workaround, by manually editing the file in Emeditor, as follows:
… which produces the desired result.
Michael Beijer said:This is not what I wanted to hear. I just created a very large TB in MultiTerm (from the IATE database), and would like to change the language now. Doing it via Excel will take hours, and run the risk of messing things up.
Hi Michael Beijer
Here's an idea I just put to the test and it seemed to work for me with a termbase containing around 60k terms. You may not be able to do this with larger termbases as you might hit some file locking errors depending on the spec of your machine. I had to double the size of my registry entry to handle this one. Also, not that I need to say it, but make sure you do this on a copy!
My termbase had an EN-US language which I changed to be EN-AU like this (include the quotes in the search where I have used them):
Search replaced "EN-US" with "EN-AU" in the following access tables:
Check that worked before doing the next part as I broke it at my first attempt. If it's ok change the description of the languages as follows:
Search replaced English (United States) with English (Australia) in the following tables:
Now, if you get errors when you open the termbase go back and double check I gave you all the tables correctly as I may have made a mistake. But after some trial and error I now have a correctly operating termbase in a different language.
- Open the tbx in an editor like Notepad++
- Use the Search and Replace function to look for "en-GB" (including the opening and closing inverted commas in your search)
- Replace all instances of "en-GB" with "en-US" (including the opening and closing inverted commas in your search)
- Save the tbx
- Drop this new tbx into the GlossaryConverter tool and it should process it with the desired language combo
Hope this helps!