This is about two problems with MultiTerm I have come across as of late.
I have been adding new terms to a Microsoft termbase by opening the standalone Multiterm application and copying and pasting new terms in it from the Microsoft Language Portal. Sometimes, when I try to paste a new term before the small receptacle window for the new term is fully opened, Multiterm will return an error and from that point on, even if the current termbase is closed and re-opened it is irreparably damaged. By that I mean the following:
– I cannot open or edit the entry that the error occurred on in Multiterm (I have 2 or 3 such entries now, for example: notification, sign-in)
– Searching for any of these entries in Multiterm Widget will crash Multiterm Widget
– Reorganizing the termbase in Multiterm finishes OK, but he problem is not fixed
– The termbase exports OK to an Excel file with Glossary Converter, but checking it in Excel does not reveal any obvious problems. However, if I then try to create a new termbase by means of Glossary Converter, the latter crashes. Their error log starts like this:
The process cannot access the file 'C:\Users\User\Desktop\TRANSP\MICROSOFT.sdltb.log' because it is being used by another process.
Source: mscorlib at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath) at System.IO.FileStream.Init(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, Int32 rights, Boolean useRights, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES secAttrs, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy, Boolean useLongPath, Boolean checkHost) at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy, Boolean useLongPath, Boolean checkHost) at System.IO.StreamWriter.CreateFile(String path, Boolean append, Boolean checkHost) at System.IO.StreamWriter..ctor(String path, Boolean append, Encoding encoding, Int32 bufferSize, Boolean checkHost) at System.IO.StreamWriter..ctor(String path, Boolean append) at Sdl.MultiTerm.Tools.GlossaryConverter.Helpers.Log.Info(String text) at Sdl.MultiTerm.Tools.GlossaryConverter.Helpers.Log.Entry(GlossaryEntry entry, Int32 position, Exception ex, Boolean write, Boolean merge) at Sdl.MultiTerm.Tools.GlossaryConverter.Workflow.Converter.ConvertOneFile(IFilter inputFilter, IFilter outputFilter, String inputPath, FieldReader fieldReader) at Sdl.MultiTerm.Tools.GlossaryConverter.Workflow.Converter.LoopOverFiles(List`1 inputFilters, List`1 inputPaths, IFilter outputFilter, FieldReader fieldReader) at Sdl.MultiTerm.Tools.GlossaryConverter.Workflow.Converter.Convert(List`1 inputFilters, List`1 inputPaths, IFilter outputFilter) at Sdl.MultiTerm.Tools.GlossaryConverter.Workflow.FileHandler.HandleMultipleFiles(List`1 files) at Sdl.MultiTerm.Tools.GlossaryConverter.Workflow.FileHandler.ProcessFiles(List`1 files)Program version 5.2.6980.22246
Another termbase for a client that is valuable to me (contains 6000 terms)... I attached it to a project and the term recognition shows no terms whatsoever. This is a first for this termbase and I cannot stress enough how important it is for me.
When I try to reorganize it using MultiTerm, the latter crashes.
I just find it amazing that:
– Multiterm can break irreparably a termbase if the user presses CTRL+V a bit too early
– Multiterm cannot locate and repair such an error in a broken termbase on its own or do anything to help
– Termbases that have been used over and over again, suddenly return no hits and neither the reason for that or a solution can be found.
when you are working with large termbases in MultiTerm Desktop, and their reorganisation fails (and thus the fuzzy index is corrupted and term recognition no longer works), it often helps to manipulate the registry entry as described here:
Good luck :)
SDL urgently needs to rewrite Studio's entire desktop terminology system, from scratch. Simply removing Java was obviously not enough. The whole system is crap and always has been. It is simply not reliable, or any fun to use.
Compare this with memoQ or CafeTran, e.g., which always JUST WORK, and work well.
When using Studio, I long gave up on using the built in terminology system and currently recommend the Rys apps, which are MUCH better.