Trados Business Manager
Speech to Text
Managed Translation - Enterprise
Translation Management Connectors
Language Weaver Connectors
Language Weaver Edge
Tridion Docs Developers
RWS User Experience
RWS Community Internal Group
RWS Access Customer Portal
RWS Professional Services
RWS Training & Certification
RWS Enterprise Technology Partners
Trados Academic Partners
Trados Approved Trainers
ETUG (European Trados User Group) Public Information
Machine Translation User Group
Nordic Tridion Docs User Group
Tridion Docs Europe & APAC User Group
Tridion UK Meetup
Tridion User Group Benelux
Tridion User Group New England
Tridion User Group Ohio Valley
Tridion West Coast User Group
WorldServer User Group
Trados GroupShare Ideas
Trados Studio Ideas
Language Weaver Ideas
Language Weaver Edge Ideas
RWS Language Cloud TMS Ideas
RWS Language Cloud Terminology Ideas
RWS Language Cloud Online Editor Ideas
Managed Translation - Enterprise Ideas
Tridion Docs Ideas
Tridion Sites Ideas
LiveContent S1000D Ideas
Events & Webinars
To RWS Documentation
To RWS Support
Detecting language please wait for.......
I am trying to convert a .tbx file to create a termbase.
The .tbx file is from the Irish terminological database, available here https://www.tearma.ie/ioslodail/
I am getting this error:
I can see other parsing errors on the forum, but nothing that is a help re Multiterm Converter 2021. Can anybody advise?
Hi @Darán Ó Dochartaigh,
You can do the same, converting a .tbx file into a termbase .sdltb with the Glossary Converter, in fact it´s easier and more intuitive to handle, please check it…
I downloaded this tbx file, changed the extension to xml and then used the SDL MultiTerm 2021 Convert (selecting OLIF XML format). That error refers to an ampersand (that is, the & sign) which is mixed…
I could not make it work using the Glossary Converter, which in addition highlighted other problems. The XML is validated OK and it's well formed. In my view, handling correctly the ampersand, which is…
You can do the same, converting a .tbx file into a termbase .sdltb with the Glossary Converter, in fact it´s easier and more intuitive to handle, please check it:
And you can check here how to use it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYuSiN1bVfQ&t=1s
Let me know if it works alright this way, please!
I downloaded this tbx file, changed the extension to xml and then used the SDL MultiTerm 2021 Convert (selecting OLIF XML format). That error refers to an ampersand (that is, the & sign) which is mixed up with the actual content of the terms. The ampersand cannot be escaped (ie replaced) with \& and instead Unicode & should be used. However there are tons of error of the same type plus other ampersands mixed up with backslashes. This termbase has 184420 entries (ie "concepts") and several descriptive fields (inside 4165212 lines). Doing a manual clean up is very slow and I guess a global search and replace with regular expressions will do the job. I haven't tried with the Glossary Converter, but it is most likely the same errors will occur. I used Notepad++ to explore this huge XML file (in addition, files with the extension .tbx are essentially xml files, so changing the extension may not be necessary).
I could not make it work using the Glossary Converter, which in addition highlighted other problems. The XML is validated OK and it's well formed. In my view, handling correctly the ampersand, which is interspersed in the actual content, will be the solution.
Thank you both very much @Ozzie O and Oana NagyI have passed on your suggestion the technicians who maintain the Irish Terminological Database and they will implement within a few days. I will keep you posted. Beirigí bua,Darán
Darán Ó Dochartaigh
I downloaded the TBX from the website. As Ozzie O noted the file does contain invalid XML. So this is what I did:
Reality is that aside from the XML being invalid it's simply too large!
Also noting... "concepts" and "entries" are not the same thing ;-)
It was an interesting test case so I did try to get the entire thing into Trados Live... this worked nicely and it was fast. I had to convert the TBX to an XDT/XML to make this work successfully, but the Glossary Converter makes short work of that once you fix the TBX.
I have put the TBX here and also the XDT/XML so you can have a play as you see fit:tearma.zip
Thanks, Paul. That's what I thought. All the tools available were up to the task but as long as the TBX or XML file has some glitches in the content itself (not in the tags), there is no way ahead.
Paul said:Also noting... "concepts" and "entries" are not the same thing ;-)
I don't understand. According to the SDL training courses for MultiTerm "in a concept-oriented database all terms that belong to the same concept can be found in the same entry." SDL MultiTerm termbases use a concept-oriented approach.