When I start Glossary Converter, I get this error.
"Can't detect MultiTerm, using xdt/xml as termbase format instead."
MultiTerm 2019 is insltalled and working on my PC.
OS is Windows 10 64 bit.
How can I solve this problem?
Have you downloaded the latest version of Glossary Converter?
A new one was brought out when MultiTerm 2019 came out.
All the best,
Hi Gerhard Kordmann
Glossary Converter is working very well on my machine.
I have the latest versions of Studio 2019, MultiTerm 2019 and of Glossary Converter.
Paul is Gerhard correct, that the latest update 'broke' Glossary Converter on many machines and that there's no support on this?
Ahhh… I've just checked and now realise that Gerhard is the wonderful developer who created the Glossary Converter and Glossary Plugin Apps.
If he says it broke, it did indeed! As it's working fine for the three of us, I wonder what else has happened to change that for so many users.
Years ago I remember using a method of turning a simple Excel glossary into a .txt file that could be imported into MultiTerm but it was a fiddly, time-consuming process of very careful find and replace sequences.
Glossary Converter revolutionised making glossaries accessible and saved so much time! It is probably my favourite AppStore app.
Thank you Gerhard Kordmann you're a real 'game changer' [8-|]!
A sincere THANK YOU for the wonderful tool that Glossary Converter is, I hadn't realised that you were the developer, despite what you wrote in your post. I didn't read it properly, am sooo busy I read emails too fast.
Just wanted to say that you have undoubtedly contributed one of the most widely-used and USEFUL apps on the AppStore! Maybe most people use it to create MultiTerm termbases from Excel but for me the opposite has proved VERY USEFUL as well! To be able to simply drag a termbase, that was probably created by dragging to Glossary Convert in the first place but has multiple duplicates, to your app then to be able to alphabetise and tidy it up quickly and successfully in Excel before taking it back to .sdltb has made my life sooo much easier! Once I've done this I can usually see all the terms in a given segment in the Termbase Viewer without scrolling, which makes my job as Technical Reviewer a whole lot easier!
So, don't be disheartened by this temporary blip, I'm sure now SDL staff are back at work that they will find a solution.
I wish you all the VERY BEST for the year 2019!
Very best regards
You're welcome, Gerhard Kordmann
I'm sure there will be a proper fix very soon...
Enjoy the rest of your day,
Based on the glorious number of 2 successes so far, you can try this: go to C:\Program Files (x86)\SDL\SDL MultiTerm\MultiTerm14 and copy the following files to C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\SDL\MultiTerm14: Sdl.Enterprise2.Studio.Platform.Client.dll Sdl.Enterprise2.Platform.Contracts.dll and then delete all folders in: C:\ProgramData\SDL\Sdl.MultiTerm.Tools.GlossaryConverter Cheers, Gerhard