"General error occurred" and "MultiTerm is unable to retrieve the multimedia object"

I am working on a package sent by the client on a Mac (with the virtual machine paralells and windows and esxcel installed there). I tried to convert an excel file to sdl tb format as suggested by the SDL Manual used by the client. But I could only generate the formats: xdt, xml (as html file) and xdt.log. According to the help menu of the glossary converter the xml format can be used to be uploaded in Multiterm as glossary. But when I upload the xdt format in the term base section I get this the above message. Any idea. Had a look at other similar questions, but I did not get any further there.

Parents Reply
  • Because I have used that ways, let's say 100 times.

    As I said, it's true that you can import a multiterm XML into a termbase without the need for an XDT.  But this is not always the case.  Termbases can contain the same field names and very different data structures.  These are defined by the XDT, so all I am saying is that it is incorrect to say you don't need the XDT as this is not correct in all cases.  I imagine you only work with very simple glossaries, so in this scenario it's highly likely you have never had a problem.  But as general advice for someone else, especially when you have no idea about the complexity of their termbase, it's not a good idea to say the XML file is the only file you need.

    MultiTerm has required this for over 20-years... 

Children
No Data