"Version string portion was too short or too long" error after installing the new appNotifications in Trados 2019 SR2

That's it. I don't know the consequences of this error, apparently I could work normally. I removed the plugin and now everything seems fine.

This was the detailed error log.

<SDLErrorDetails time="18/09/2019 20:37:35">
  <ErrorMessage>Version string portion was too short or too long.</ErrorMessage>
  <Exception>
    <Type>System.ArgumentException, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089</Type>
    <ParamName />
    <HelpLink />
    <Source>mscorlib</Source>
    <HResult>-2147024809</HResult>
    <StackTrace><![CDATA[   at System.Version.VersionResult.SetFailure(ParseFailureKind failure, String argument)
   at System.Version.TryParseVersion(String version, VersionResult& result)
   at System.Version.Parse(String input)
   at System.Version..ctor(String version)
   at AppStoreIntegration.Service.PluginService.<>c.<LatestPluginVersion>b__9_0(PluginVersion oosPluginVersion)
   at System.Linq.Enumerable.WhereSelectListIterator`2.MoveNext()
   at System.Collections.Generic.List`1..ctor(IEnumerable`1 collection)
   at System.Linq.Enumerable.ToList[TSource](IEnumerable`1 source)
   at AppStoreIntegration.Service.PluginService.LatestPluginVersion(List`1 pluginVersions, Version localManifestVersion)
   at AppStoreIntegration.Service.PluginService.<CheckForUpdates>d__6.MoveNext()
--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task task)
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter`1.GetResult()
   at AppStoreIntegration.AppStoreIntegrationInitializer.<OnStudioWindowCreated>d__3.MoveNext()
--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.AsyncMethodBuilderCore.<>c.<ThrowAsync>b__6_0(Object state)]]></StackTrace>
  </Exception>
  <Environment>
    <ProductName>SDL Trados Studio</ProductName>
    <ProductVersion>15.0.0.0</ProductVersion>
    <EntryAssemblyFileVersion>15.2.0.1041</EntryAssemblyFileVersion>
    <OperatingSystem>Microsoft Windows 10 Pro</OperatingSystem>
    <ServicePack>NULL</ServicePack>
    <OperatingSystemLanguage>3082</OperatingSystemLanguage>
    <CodePage>1252</CodePage>
    <LoggedOnUser>PORTÁTIL\Ignacio</LoggedOnUser>
    <DotNetFrameWork>4.0.30319.42000</DotNetFrameWork>
    <ComputerName>PORTÁTIL</ComputerName>
    <ConnectedToNetwork>True</ConnectedToNetwork>
    <PhysicalMemory>24829456 MB</PhysicalMemory>
  </Environment>
</SDLErrorDetails>

Parents
  • Hello ,

Our app team have been able to find the problem.

There was a conflict happening on some machines due to the version number.

This has now been rectified and you can download the updated version here 

https://admin.oos.sdl.com/accounts/accountdetails.aspx?accountid=426603

• Ok. thank you, the app seems to be working correctly now...

Although.. I have a little query. I am surprised by the version numbers. How trustworthy is this? For example, I have this screenshot

For example, the first plugin, Comment View Plugin, I have version 1.4 and the new available version es, according to this plugin,. 1.42019. However, when I access the relevant page for this plugin, it says the version is still 1.4, so I think it's getting the version numbers wrong (1.42019 seems to stand for 1.4 year 2019).

So even though I have version 1.4, the plugin warns me an update is available, although I believe it's really the same version.

Now, see for instance the last plugin. SDLX Translation Memory Plug-in... I have version 4.0 and the notifications plugin tells me there is a higher version, 20154.0.182. In the relevant plugin page, it confirms the available SDLX Translation Memory Plug-in version is 4.0.

So either some plugins report the version number wrongly, or something is otherwise wrong. I am going to risk updating these two examples to see if something is messed up, and I will edit the post. The update warning for the rest of the plugins seems adequate, though.

And a final query regarding this app. The text in the update page strongly recommends to UNINSTALL the plugin and then REINSTALL. Is that the behaviour of this app when I press the "Update plugin" button.

UPDATE: Yes, in the two cases I have mentioned, even after updating all plugins, the update warning keeps popping up for these two. I suppose it's because the plugin is incorrectly supplying the version number.

• How trustworthy is this?

I think it'll be a little while before all 3rd party developers update their apps in the way we want them.  This wiki explains:

https://community.sdl.com/developers-more/developers/language-developers/w/wiki/5065/plugin-manifest-file-convention

As we receive updates we encourage the developers to update their manifest accordingly, but it'll take time and I imagine there will be some odd results for some until theY realise the benefits.  In reality we released this plugin now to start getting developers used to this because it's part of a larger effort to integrate the appstore into Studio.  Hopefully by the time that work is complete all developers will have updated their 2019 versions of the plugins accordingly and everything will work 100% accurately.

Thanks for reporting theseones though, I will contact the developers and point this out.

Reply Children
No Data